Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Universal: “Look, this is already a three hour story shot with expensive cameras about a genuinely depressing and horrific chapter of American history. Please tell me there’s nothing else that will make this a harder sell than it already is.”

Nolan: “It will be rated R.”

Universal: “For war violence?”

Nolan: “Three seconds of Matt Damon’s taint.”

Universal: “…he made The Dark Knight.”

physicshistoryguy wrote:
June 1st, 2023, 3:28 pm
Ace wrote:
June 1st, 2023, 1:54 pm

Some sexuality, nudity and language.

Is that Danny Deferrari as Fermi to Oppenheimer's left at 0:06? If so, then that seems to confirm that this indeed is the 1949 GAC meeting (plus Strauss).
Yup, it's him.

The revamped official website has a still of him too.

i know most of you are thinking sex scene, im thinking pictures of victims of Little boy and Fat man, though the "some sexuality" thing might mean the former.

Ace

Nicolaslabra wrote:
June 1st, 2023, 5:24 pm
i know most of you are thinking sex scene, im thinking pictures of victims of Little boy and Fat man, though the "some sexuality" thing might mean the former.
Right, plus the fact that the screenplay is fixed on Oppenheimer's perspective probably rules out showing Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

And since that indeed is Fermi,
I wonder if he's just set dressing at the GAC meeting, or if Nolan will use that opportunity to deliberately contrast his moral revulsion to the Super at this meeting with his willingness during WWII to poison Germany's food supply with radioisotopes. Although with all the contrasts and contradictions present in Oppenheimer's decisions, I'm sure Nolan has his hands full already without exploring another character.

DylanHoang wrote:
June 1st, 2023, 3:02 pm
The last three-hour epic to be rated R was Babylon and we all know how that went. Obviously I expect Oppenheimer to do much better, but we definitely need the Top Gun: Maverick audience (as in adults) to really show up for this to be a success.
Babylon good, public stupid.

So, surely Murphy hangs dong in this, right?

Nolan probably doesn’t know what TikTok is, and I hope it stays that way. He’d be enraged to see everything is in 9:16.