Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Lincoln wrote:
October 5th, 2021, 6:54 pm
The general consensus is that Tenet sucked, and Nolan's reputation is not the best right now (let's just say that), people seem tired with his sci-fi concepts. Changing the subject to Denis when someone criticizes him is not going to change the facts, especially making dumb comparisons like small movies vs big-budget blockbusters.

And yes, everyone cares about acclaim, studio/producers care about critics, actors care about critics, directors care about critics, acclaim goes hand-in-hand with success, It is important. Acting like a hypocritical fanboy and denying this now is not going to change these facts either.

Long time ago I said that Nolan needs to reinvent himself, and I used as comparison someone like Spielberg (I just use it as an example), who at the same point in Nolan's career (22 years into her career) made Schindler's List. That's my opinion.
I guess people haven't gotten bored of auteurs like Paul Thomas Anderson **yet** because he keeps changing (and well his writing is masterful IMO, the most important thing).
This is all exhausting. I'm glad you are so plugged in that you can make such concrete statements about Nolan's reputation, and how people view him. Also, Inherent Vice got savaged probably more than any Nolan movie and you didn't see people telling PTA to stop PTAing. I think you should probably stop basing your opinion, which you pass off as concrete fact, on what a minority of people on the internet are tweeting about.

Tenet is a new low point in Nolan’s career. The prevailing sentiment in my group chats and 95% of the opinions I hear on social media are that Tenet was awful and Nolan is too far up his own ass. It’s crucial for his next film to win the audience over because two duds in a row can permanently damage anyones career. The general audience don’t care what you did for them in the past. The stans will eat anything up and say thank you master Nolan but big budget movies need the casual fans to buy tickets.

Not surprised the forum is full of "consensus-bots" after The Dark Knight and Inception, I hope they all leave after the Oppenheimer project :twisted:

as someone who loves tenet (and i dont mindlessly eat up anything he directs either; i’m not too crazy about inception or interstellar), frankly i can’t care less what the general audience thinks about that movie. i have seen a lot of opinion posts from tenet haters, and pretty much 99.9% of them frame what they don’t understand about the movie as plot holes, lol. this isn’t to say tenet is some elusive high art few can understand, i just think few people care enough to understand—which is totally fine but don’t mistake their lack of enthusiasm for the movie for it being bad.

im not saying those people’s feelings for the movie are invalid. it’s still an inaccessible movie, at the end of the day. but after seeing the cold reception to this movie (and especially considering this is the movie that rekindled my love for him as a director, ironically), i kinda think what’s important to me right now is admiring his capabilities/artistic accomplishments as a director with each new movie (which imo he has plenty on display in tenet). if he keeps on making niche big-budgeted movies like this, the worst case scenario is he goes back to indie and villeneuve “takes his throne.” i’d still be there to support him tho 🤷‍♀️

Retskrad wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 6:48 am
Tenet is a new low point in Nolan’s career. The prevailing sentiment in my group chats and 95% of the opinions I hear on social media are that Tenet was awful and Nolan is too far up his own ass. It’s crucial for his next film to win the audience over because two duds in a row can permanently damage anyones career. The general audience don’t care what you did for them in the past. The stans will eat anything up and say thank you master Nolan but big budget movies need the casual fans to buy tickets.
Do you have more things to add about Oppenheimer project or are you still going to keep coming with this? Do not know if you are troll or not but there is a Tenet thread where you can free yourself from the disappointment burden that was Tenet for you. Show your statistics abilities, so to speak, there.

That user is clearly not here to support or even just discuss Nolan's films in a sensible manner. They also must live in an alternate reality where a movie with 70% on RT, 69 on MC and 7.4 on IMDb is a panned, colossal failure.

I'm also waiting for them to share a list of all the films that have grossed more than Tenet since its release, cause I'm sure it's a long list.

Hopefully there will be more updates on this new project soon, so we can focus on that instead.

Innovator wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 1:48 pm
That user is clearly not here to support or even just discuss Nolan's films in a sensible manner. They also must live in an alternate reality where a movie with 70% on RT, 69 on MC and 7.4 on IMDb is a panned, colossal failure.

I'm also waiting for them to share a list of all the films that have grossed more than Tenet since its release, cause I'm sure it's a long list.

Hopefully there will be more updates on this new project soon, so we can focus on that instead.
I REALLY hope there will be some little updtates or informations this month.

"The general consensus is..."

:roll:

Lincoln wrote:
October 5th, 2021, 6:54 pm
The general consensus is that Tenet sucked, and Nolan's reputation is not the best right now (let's just say that), people seem tired with his sci-fi concepts. Changing the subject to Denis when someone criticizes him is not going to change the facts, especially making dumb comparisons like small movies vs big-budget blockbusters.

And yes, everyone cares about acclaim, studio/producers care about critics, actors care about critics, directors care about critics, acclaim goes hand-in-hand with success, It is important. Acting like a hypocritical fanboy and denying this now is not going to change these facts either.

Long time ago I said that Nolan needs to reinvent himself, and I used as comparison someone like Spielberg (I just use it as an example), who at the same point in Nolan's career (22 years into her career) made Schindler's List. That's my opinion.
I guess people haven't gotten bored of auteurs like Paul Thomas Anderson **yet** because he keeps changing (and well his writing is masterful IMO, the most important thing).
You sound smart talking about facts. However, your statement contradicts yourself, mate. Tell me, which part of your "The general consensus is that Tenet sucked, and Nolan's reputation is not the best right now (let's just say that), people seem tired with his sci-fi concepts." is actually fact here. Tenet has a 70% critics' and 76% audience score on RT. It has a 69 critics' (generally favorable reviews) and 7.2 audience score on Metacritic. Finally, it has 7.4 on IMDb. So, I'm not getting where these 'Tenet sucked' and all of your other claims are coming from. Personally, I rate Tenet not that high in Nolan's filmography, maybe on the 5th or 6h place. You can say the movie was not as good as people's expectations. But it never sucked. The facts don't support you. At worst, it's an above-average movie compared to Nolan's standard and is still better than most of your so-called 'critically acclaimed' movies nowadays. But that's just my opinion. I can understand that it disappointed you big time. As long as it's your own opinion, it's perfectly fine. But labeling your own opinion as general consensus is not a good way to argue about things, is it? It only proves that you're desperate to validate your own agenda, whatever that is. Since you are so obsessed with critical validation, for you movies like Black Panther (96% RT), Avengers: Endgame (94%), Thos: Ragnaoak (93%), Guardians of the Galaxy (92%), Wonder Woman (93%), The Suicide Squad (90%), Shazam (90%), Spider-Man: Homecoming (92%) etc. must be as good as or better than The Dark Knight (94%), The Shawshank Redemption (91%), Pulp Fiction (92%), Fight Club (79%), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (94%), Se7en (82%), The Silence of the Lambs (96%), Saving Private Ryan (93%) and many more classics. For me, critics (most of them) are pure hypocrites. They will bash some movies they didn't like for certain reasons (flaws as they call it) only to adore some other random movies (like marvel ones) ignoring the same flaws. Btw, can you name some renowned directors who didn't have any hiccups in their careers? That doesn't mean their careers were done and dusted or they should have changed their style of filmmaking. It's because the truly talented ones do not care about the so-called 'hypocritical critics' and don't make movies to appease them.

And about "Changing the subject to Denis when someone criticizes him is not going to change the facts, especially making dumb comparisons like small movies vs big-budget blockbusters." Obviously, you were referring to my earlier comment. Firstly, the other guy brought up the BO comparison in the first place. So, I just pointed out how delusional he is. And, secondly, I didn't compare the actual BO numbers, it was the ratio of BO numbers against budget. So, no, it wasn't some dumb comparison. It is the most mathematically accurate comparison possible between two directors' BO performance. I advise you to go through your high school mathematics lessons again.
Last edited by SCORPIO16 on October 6th, 2021, 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Innovator wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 1:48 pm

Add to that a 76% RT audience score which kills the argument that 'The prevailing sentiment in my group chats and 95% of the opinions I hear on social media are that Tenet was awful'. Group chats :lol: