Halo Universe Discussion Thread by 343i

A place to discuss music and video games.
PowerDump wrote:I think it is alright but at this point based off of overall opinions it seems like this game is kind of a massive bomb. It really doesn't feel like a Halo game. Factor in the massive content cut from past games, the req system which destroys most strategy on a map because you can get your power weapon anywhere. The single-player also doesn't make sense unless you follow the books closely? WTF?
The single player story is super easy to understand. I don't get where this complaint is coming from the many people. I actually thought it flowed well and made complete sense without any knowledge of outside material besides the previous games.

Things you wouldn't be able to understand without having read the books or looking at outside lore and material::

1. Who Blue Team is and why they matter. Seriously the game makes no attempts to build them into characters.

2. Who the new main character Locke is. Without Nightfall or Hunt The Truth, this guy is just a bland "just following orders" type

3. Abstract Forerunner history. This is more Halo 4 than Halo 5 but this is still what heavily roots the "villain's" motivations in this game. Could potentially be three or four points of its own.

Now if you throw in things you wouldn't understand having not played the previous installments of the series...well then the games plot would be complete nonsense to you. I believe its ok for a game to build up a continuous plot that is reliant on previous games for a trilogy. But your game still needs to be marginally accessible to new gamers. We are now a generation removed from Halo Combat Evolved. Time to try and bring in new fans.

Addicted2Movies wrote:Things you wouldn't be able to understand without having read the books or looking at outside lore and material::

1. Who Blue Team is and why they matter. Seriously the game makes no attempts to build them into characters.

2. Who the new main character Locke is. Without Nightfall or Hunt The Truth, this guy is just a bland "just following orders" type

3. Abstract Forerunner history. This is more Halo 4 than Halo 5 but this is still what heavily roots the "villain's" motivations in this game. Could potentially be three or four points of its own.

Now if you throw in things you wouldn't understand having not played the previous installments of the series...well then the games plot would be complete nonsense to you. I believe its ok for a game to build up a continuous plot that is reliant on previous games for a trilogy. But your game still needs to be marginally accessible to new gamers. We are now a generation removed from Halo Combat Evolved. Time to try and bring in new fans.
Yeah I agree with your points but not with what I bolded. Halo has an incredibly extensive lore and having a sequel such as Halo 5 be accessible to new players without them having even bothered to at least look up what happened before is just stupid. And I certainly don't think we're a generation removed from CE. On the contrary, it's still considered a classic and, if not played, should at least be acknowledged by the newbies.

If for you 'new fans' means ignorant players who don't even know the most basic info about Halo's history, then I'll be glad to stay with the old ones.

SomeFrenchToast wrote:
Addicted2Movies wrote:Things you wouldn't be able to understand without having read the books or looking at outside lore and material::

Yeah I agree with your points but not with what I bolded. Halo has an incredibly extensive lore and having a sequel such as Halo 5 be accessible to new players without them having even bothered to at least look up what happened before is just stupid. And I certainly don't think we're a generation removed from CE. On the contrary, it's still considered a classic and, if not played, should at least be acknowledged by the newbies.

If for you 'new fans' means ignorant players who don't even know the most basic info about Halo's history, then I'll be glad to stay with the old ones.
Oh no, don't get me wrong. The very foundation of the series should dictate the direction of the franchise. Things such as there being a Halo, there having been a war with the Covenant, and the central characters of the story such as Chief and Cortana are all things even those new to the franchise should understand before playing their first Halo game. These things are "iconic". It's just that I think this new era of the Halo franchise (The dubbed "Reclaimer" trilogy) should be able to somewhat stand on its own legs and be accessible to new players with only a glimpse of the franchise. But players shouldn't have to do Halo wiki searches or reading notes about the books before playing the game in order to understand important plot points. What the first trilogy of games did so well was create an immersive story that stood on its own legs in the universe while also hinting at an underlying mythos without ever needing that under the surface lore to sustain its plot. Halo 4 and 5, while being pretty good games, have struggled at times with this balancing act. I just don't want the games stories getting crushed by the weight of the franchise's universe.