Video Games Part II

A place to discuss music and video games.
Spider-Man is this month's Game Informer cover story, and they'll be doing coverage throughout the month. Here's the cover by the one and only Alex Ross.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uyIp5C1N5M[/youtube]
m4st4 wrote:
March 31st, 2018, 4:59 am
Help me understand the smash hype as I prepare myself mentally for the Switch version.
Hmm, how to pitch Smash.

It's a toybox unlike other fighting games (literally, if you go by the intro of the original game). But underneath this toybox is a hidden layer of mechanics and constantly-changing meta. It can be casual and hardcore in vastly different ways, and again unlike other fighters. You're not memorising combos, you're learning the mechanics and physics of the game. But you don't have to, it's easy to just hop in. It can be a party game and a high-level tournament game at once. Coupled with the variety of characters and modes, there's endless play. It introduced me to Kirby, Metroid and Fire Emblem, while still attracting to my initial Mario, Pokemon and Zelda fandom.

Which one is your favourite tends to go by what you're looking for. The competitive scene will likely always favour Melee but personally, I love them all. It's like video game crack, just slap the Smash Bros logo on a new game and I'm instantly sold. Hell, chances are it'll be my GOTY this year, no matter the competition. I just love it that much.

Below are two great videos on the Melee competitive scene. The first is a quick look at what makes the game perhaps the longest-staying community and longest-growing meta out there (*especially* for a game that was never patched). The second is a four hour long documentary that I do recommend if you have the time.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpyYdMNKknk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX9hbbA-WP4[/youtube]

a) Insomniac are revealing Spidey’s release date today! :o Game is looking mighty fine.
b) Man, thanks for that generous info on Smash hype! Now I’m even more intrigued to try it out myself! That stuff about it being both casual and highly competitive at the same time is really interesting, not many fighting games can achieve that and on top of it this also has all of my favorite Ninty characters. Will click on the links and watch! :thumbup:
c) YouTube links are (still) not working huh...
d) This month is all about God of War for me. Hopefully it won’t disappoint me like Far Cry 5 did after mere two-three hours...:( Got back to Warframe and never looked back.

If Spider-Man wasn't a PS4 exclusive I would upgrade my PC rig ASAP. Game looks fucking awesome.

Sanchez wrote:
April 4th, 2018, 8:38 am
If Spider-Man wasn't a PS4 exclusive I would upgrade my PC rig ASAP. Game looks fucking awesome.
I’m considering buying a 4k TV for Spidey. Original intention was to wait for TLOU: Part II but idk... imagine photo mode in 4k??? My inner Spidey fanboy is running rampant.

September 7

Now this is a remake I'm fucking hyped for. Spyro 1 and 2 on PS1 were a massive part of my childhood. It's probably the console-franchise I've played the most.

Edit: Ok, maybe FIFA is. But that doesn't count.

Same. Played it on PS1 along with Syphon Filter (please come back), Crash Team Racing etc. Spyro is more important to me than Crash remaster actually. And they nailed the art style.

September is the new October/November

Ended up buying a second copy of Dragon Ball Fighterz on Xbox so that I could play with more of my friends. Actually worth it because I've already had some incredible matches with friends. It's amazing having everyone all get super hyped and into a match.

Meanwhile. . .
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gdtShNVYIA[/youtube]

It looks like reviews for God of War come out on Thursday (at least IGN’s). Hopefully that’s a good sign.

PowerDump wrote:
April 10th, 2018, 12:07 pm
It looks like reviews for God of War come out on Thursday (at least IGN’s). Hopefully that’s a good sign.
Embargo lifts on Thursday (I believe tommorow midnight), for errrybody.