The Last of Us - It can't be for nothing (Part II announced)

A place to discuss music and video games.
Michaelf2225 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 7:39 am
post seattle day 3 (no real spoilers aside from the "big one" you guys are discussing just contributing the over arching narrative talk and brief mention of the game's inciting incident)
the decision to have you play as abby was very tough for the first day or so for me. but after shit starts going down - especially near the end - i completely understand why ND did what they've done, and i think it's brilliant. i did not expect to cry playing as joel's killer - like vader said it's an exercise in empathy.

i also don't think it would've worked if we switched back and forth between abby and ellie. our connection with abby relies, i think, on spending a lot of time with her just like we would with ellie. my one criticism, and this isn't really about the story - a few of the combat encounters with her have gone on too long and feel a bit like filler. there's also one combat encounter with a certain infected that was absolutely bonkers.
Like most folks I read online and you guys here, at first I was conflicted as well. My Ellie was almost maxed out and now this, starting anew? Such (expected but still) bullshit.

But gradually, like you said, after spending some time with her (and you absolutely need that time, no easier way about it, she opens up as a character. Yara and Lev help a lot, really love those two! Seattle Day 2, going for the hospital to see Nora for those meds now...
Mechanically, how they make you start believing and easing into the gameplay cycle again is by giving you different training manuals, different (more commando) weapons and more pills. Bunch of smarties, those Naughty Dog folks.
I see where all of this is going and won't be able to handle it.

This thread from a Naughty Dog dev is a must read, no spoilers whatsoever, just discussing themes from a profound and personal perspective:

I rolled the credits about 30 minutes ago and have been sitting in silence crying on and off the whole time.

If the first game is a streamlined, perfect masterpiece, this game is a massive, messy, imperfect one. It's possibly the highest artistic level this medium has ever achieved, and one that I'm not sure we'll see reached again for a while - or, at least until the next ND game if this stupid backlash doesn't cause Sony to reign Druckmann and co. in for the next game.

This is not the game I expected, and it's certainly not the game I wanted - but despite that, the ending had me ugly crying - no game has ever done this to me before. I'm so excited for you guys to finish, so we can talk about it. I'm just angry this is gonna go down by most people as an awful, hated game. If only people had actually played it.

If the first game is a streamlined, perfect masterpiece, this game is a massive, messy, imperfect one.
Yeah I was already starting to think of some TDK vs TDKR analogies too.

Michaelf, don't worry man, Druckmann certainly doesn't. Just look at his tweets. Everybody in the company seems to be incredibly proud of the achievement, it broke Animal Crossing opening record in UK and even Uncharted 4. Spider-Man's 3.3 million is going down soon as well. They can expect a 20+ mil seller, easily. And it's been a critical darling with currently 95 meta. People are only now finishing the game, processing everything and starting to come out to say something substantial. Let's not quote those 0/10 reviews cause there's nothing to quote there except hate.

There are lesbians in this game (one of them is a protag). Pregnant women. Wives and daughters. People of all race and color. People of various religious beliefs. Old and tired. Vile people. Good folks. Men and women trying to survive, protecting their own. Part II challenges your own ideals on every possible socio-political level, and it's not always pretty, on the contrary, mostly it's dark, and desparate, and unfair. But damn are the moments of true piece even more important in this game than ever. I'd argue Part II has more giraffes, and elephants, and lamas, than any other ND game (you know the references).

I teared up so many times playing this game, don't even count no more. Will probably finish tomorrow.

Sometimes what soul needs is to hurt. Love will come inevitably after.

Edit: update on my progress, 25 hours into it... After Seattle Day 3...Still ways to go... Major fight spoiler under a certain structure lol.
Hospital fight, Abby vs THAT abomination?!?

FUCK THAT SHIT ON HARD.

Just barely made it. My worst nightmares lol.
Last edited by m4st4 on June 22nd, 2020, 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yeah, I just finished, too. I agree that this is probably the greatest achievement in video game history. There are parts I vehemently disliked, and yet, as a whole, this game took me to places no entertainment property has ever taken me to.

I'll have more thoughts later, but the words are alluding me at the moment.

I'd argue that the second (third?) part of the game has some of the best set pieces and locations.

Finishing tomorrow, not ready to let go. Had to stop for tonight, unwillingly.

I finished day 4(ish) and I am floored by how well executed this all is.
Forcing the player to confront people we killed/slaughtered/tortured while some of those people are warm, caring and in Owen's case, ultimately non-violent, forces the player into an extremely uncomfortable place. And by making Day 1 about rescuing Owen, the most likable and moral character (who also is why Ellie and Tommy are alive), you feel compelled and moved even when ND knows the player will still feel uncertain about Abby.

...and then she saves those Scars after they saved her, and gives her name after doing it. Exactly as Joel did to her. You can sense her own conflict of allegiances and perspective. These characters are far more dimensionalized than you'd have thought.

Also, all the scenes at night in the forest are fucking terrifying and completely incredible.
I cannot wait to see where this goes. I'm going to limit myself to playing a couple hours a day now to savor it.

-Vader

I'm at day six(ish)... Day five will legit give me nightmares tonight.

When I said I wanted new Silent Hill, I didn't...

You know that scene from The Matrix, right before the betrayal: 'Not like this.' Yeah, that.

Vader, regarding your locales concern before, worry not. ;)

And smart choice about limiting your game time, wish I had such strong will. But we'll see what happens. He he he. 👀

Just wanted to mention one specific setpiece that reminded me of the everlasting fear of confronting David, even after so many playthroughs of the original, I just hate it so much, gives me the creeps. Anyway, the cutscene ends and the game wants me to move and my jaw just dropped to the floor and I just stood there, frozen. 'Fuck fuck fuck.' Such an adrenaline rush. I was legit sweating. Metal Gear Solid vibes.

You guys...

i need a hug