Home Video Release - 4K/Blu-Ray/Digital/DVD

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
KEM wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 1:01 am
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 11:08 pm
Glad you could sort that out, Hustler!

KEM wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 9:51 pm
Found a 4k link, 82gb lol this download is gonna take forever
It shouldn’t be that much. I think it’s only like 56 GB or so. Interesting.
The download is capped unless you buy the premium so it’s gonna take forever, I don’t know how to torrent either

https://4k-hd.club/movies/1010-tenet-4k ... ra-hd.html
Well, I'll be back home January 5th. I can upload mine then, which should take a long time hahaha!

I could download the movie in like 10-15 minutes though easily without a cap. I just hope you have a remedy for the washed out colors if you don't have a screen with HDR.

KEM
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 1:21 am
KEM wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 1:01 am
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 11:08 pm
Glad you could sort that out, Hustler!

It shouldn’t be that much. I think it’s only like 56 GB or so. Interesting.
The download is capped unless you buy the premium so it’s gonna take forever, I don’t know how to torrent either

https://4k-hd.club/movies/1010-tenet-4k ... ra-hd.html
Well, I'll be back home January 5th. I can upload mine then, which should take a long time hahaha!

I could download the movie in like 10-15 minutes though easily without a cap. I just hope you have a remedy for the washed out colors if you don't have a screen with HDR.
No idea, I'm completely clueless on all this stuff lol. Might just post on some subreddit and ask if someone has it in 4k non-HDR

KEM wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 11:54 am
No idea, I'm completely clueless on all this stuff lol. Might just post on some subreddit and ask if someone has it in 4k non-HDR
What will you be playing it on? Computer? Like me, your best bet will probably be to use MadVR, which is a video processing software program, capable of tone-mapping Rec. 2020 to Rec. 709. It's kind of complicated to set up though, so YouTube tutorials shall be your best friend.

KEM
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 1:27 pm
KEM wrote:
What will you be playing it on? Computer? Like me, your best bet will probably be to use MadVR, which is a video processing software program, capable of tone-mapping Rec. 2020 to Rec. 709. It's kind of complicated to set up though, so YouTube tutorials shall be your best friend.
Yeah a computer, 4k monitor no HDR

KEM wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 4:35 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
KEM wrote:
I had this problem recently after buying the new Akira set. Download a program called mpv player. It has an automatic tonemapping function that approximates the correct SDR conversion colour profile in real-time when you open an HDR file. It's not perfect, I've noticed a little bit of macroblocking in a couple of shots but it's more than good enough to tide me over 'til I eventually save up for an HDR-capable display. N.B. The minimalist navigation is a hassle.

RrobynneUK wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 8:58 pm
KEM wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 4:35 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:

I had this problem recently after buying the new Akira set. Download a program called mpv player. It has an automatic tonemapping function that approximates the correct SDR conversion colour profile in real-time when you open an HDR file. It's not perfect, I've noticed a little bit of macroblocking in a couple of shots but it's more than good enough to tide me over 'til I eventually save up for an HDR-capable display. N.B. The minimalist navigation is a hassle.
I think macroblocking might be what I'm seeing on the iTunes version on my computer. I always thought that was a compression issue though, as I've only ever noticed it when watching movies on cable.

Are HDR-related issues only something I need to worry about if I'm viewing on a computer or could the same thing occur on a television? And only the 4K Blu-ray is HDR, correct? Having out-of-date technology is such a pain in the ass sometimes. I swear they make these issues occur just so that people have to spend money to replace perfectly good televisions.

marshallmurphy wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 9:28 pm
Having out-of-date technology is such a pain in the ass sometimes. I swear they make these issues occur just so that people have to spend money to replace perfectly good televisions.
Yes, that's exactly the reason. Or one of them, at least. Why do you think special features these days most often end up only on the blu-ray of a movie and not the DVD?

Macroblocking is indeed a type of compression artifact so you'll see it on iTunes etc. versions too, but usually home video distributors use smart and powerful enough compression algorithms to hide artifacting in places it won't be seen (except in the case of anime releases, which are routinely plagued by poor encoding). Watching an HDR movie on a non-HDR display has a similar effect on this trick to significantly changing the brightness/contrast/saturation of a normal file in a media player- distorting the colours and revealing gradients and sharp differences from one patch of pixels to the next that aren't visibly a sharp difference if displayed correctly.

iTunes and other digital options are much more compressed so that the smaller file sizes are easier to download; I never bother with them. Physical media or bust- if you own a blu-ray you can always rip it and compress it down, but you can't add more detail to a heavily compressed paid file download.

You'll need an HDR-capable television too just like you would need an HDR-capable computer, yes. And it tends to be only 4K discs that get the HDR treatment.

As far as i know streaming services and blu ray devices can tell if your device is HDR compatible, but i`ve never tried it with a 4k hdr blu ray on a 4k but non hdr screen, what does a 4k blu ray player do? does it send an SDR 4k signal ? or does it try to send the HDR version, just a question of the top of my head

this has never been a problem for me really, for a while now the blu rays come with a 4k HDR disc, a 1080p SDR one, and another 1080p SDR for special features, (Dunkirk for example) and 4k tvs should have no problem displaying 1080p sdr content, so i think the only real problem for now is the player itself, not many people have 4k hdr blu ray players, i believe both xbox series x and playstation 5 can read 4k hdr blu rays, i hope some more people can apreciate how much better blu rays are than streaming, quality wise.

Many UHD players have tone-mapping algorithms to downconvert HDR to SDR. It won't be perfect, but it'll do what it can.

Got my Blu-ray yesterday and it looks so much better than the iTunes version! I usually purchase films on iTunes as well that way I can scan through them whenever I like. It's easier than popping in a disc. After seeing the Blu-ray though I don't even want to look at it on iTunes again. And the changing aspect ratio is beautiful. That part where they come out of the shipping container and the aspect ratio changes!! Wow.