Dunkirk Official Reviews Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
AsianVersionOfET wrote:How are you all seeing this today?! I'm not seeing it till tomorrow night :evil:
yeah, I have no idea how this many people have Wednesday showings.

TomsWindow wrote:The fact that it is getting such incredible reviews makes me think that an Internet backlash is likely inevitable, especially since there is already a large crowd of people online who think that Nolan is overrated.

I can see it being similar to Mad Max: Fury Road and all it's detractors going, "It's so overrated! There was no character development! It was just one big chase movie!"
They can't attribute the raves to being supportive of minorities or feminism at least this time.£

TomsWindow wrote:The fact that it is getting such incredible reviews makes me think that an Internet backlash is likely inevitable, especially since there is already a large crowd of people online who think that Nolan is overrated.

I can see it being similar to Mad Max: Fury Road and all it's detractors going, "It's so overrated! There was no character development! It was just one big chase movie!"
Dunkirk doesn't have much action. It has a relentless score (not very loud) so you always feel like something is going on, but it plays very slowly. I mean that in a good way.

I liked the action in Mad Max: Fury Road. I just thought it was a weird movie. Not my cup of tea. The guitarist was the best part of that though. Couldn't stop laughing at him.

Dunkirk isn't "weird" though. I think general audiences 30+ will really get a kick out of this. I think teenagers seeing it for Harry Styles will be disappointed (not in Styles, but the kind of movie they are seeing). I also think the more educated you are on the events surrounding this evacuation and the miracle itself, the more you will like this movie.

I just don't know how many U.S. audiences will be coming back after opening week, that's my only concern at this point.

Bacon wrote:
AsianVersionOfET wrote:How are you all seeing this today?! I'm not seeing it till tomorrow night :evil:
Well, mine was Monday, and there were two theaters within an hour of each other (I'm wedged right in between) showing it then. Outside of that, no screenings around until tomorrow. Guess I was just lucky.

Oku
Bacon wrote:
It's probably that this subforum leans heavily towards Europeans countries that have a release date of July 19.

TomsWindow wrote:I can see it being similar to Mad Max: Fury Road and all it's detractors going, "It's so overrated! There was no character development! It was just one big chase movie!"
If a movie doesn't even set out to lay enough groundwork for character analysis, how can you even criticize that for not having character development lol. If it wanted to do that and utterly failed, then yea it's a different story.

But I mean in a perfect world we'd judge movies by what the creators tried to convey and whether they failed/succeded, not by what WE wanted the movie to be only

Mine is a midnight screening, so it's officially on the 20th

dormouse7 wrote:Not a review, but Vulture ranks all 10 Christopher Nolan movies and gives Dunkirk #1
http://www.vulture.com/article/christop ... anked.html
I love the description they give Interstellar.
Is it true though - are people finally starting to come around to it after its divisive debut?

EDIT: Well the comments seem to disagree with the author's opinion on Interstellar :lol: