[SPOILERS] Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
dormouse7 wrote:What I still did not spot is what specifically happened to Shivering Soldier that left him shell shocked.
Did you ignore my quoted post addressed to you? You don't see what happens. You are shown (A) and (C) without being shown (B), and are expected to understand what happened in between.

In case you're still having trouble putting two-and-two together, let's try and play "Which of the following happened during event (B)?" and see if you can determine it for yourself!

(A) The soldier is on the rowboat and denies Tommy and Alex boarding access because they are at maximum capacity.
(B)
(C) The soldier is spotted atop a capsized ship, shivering cold, with no other crew members in sight; he is not immediately responsive to the offering of a thrown rope or a spot of tea.

Okay, so which of the following happened during (B)? You have four options:

1) A German U-boat torpedoes the soldier's ship, much like the ship that was torpedoed in front of him the night before and sent Tommy, Gibson, and Alex his way whilst directing the rowboat.

2) The soldier hosts a Hunter, Ninja, Bear tournament among his crew mates, where each losing participant must attempt to swim to their homeland and the winner gets to keep the ship all to himself; the ship also lost to the soldier, and ships turn upside-down to swim, which explains a lot.

3) The soldier is hypnotized by the Germans using long-range techniques familiar to certain citizens of the orient and various holy men of the Himalayas; although it is normally considered safe, they put him under a concentrated trance and the mind can only take so much, that he ended up turning on his men and sabotaged his ship. He awoke later in a daze.

4) The soldier lives for another 70 years without aging much, became the Scarecrow for a short run, and after Bane's revolution is sent out on the ice, to where he walks all the way to Europe, and just as the ice begins to melt he clings onto the first thing he sees... which is an upside-down ship.

Good luck!

Yes I did miss your response that we were expected to fill that in. When I got home from viewing the film the second time I wanted to get my thoughts written down right away.

dormouse7 wrote:Yes I did miss your response that we were expected to fill that in. When I got home from viewing the film the second time I wanted to get my thoughts written down right away.
In that case, you're good!

So, what's your response? 1, 2, 3, or 4?

Either #1 or bombed.

dormouse7 wrote:Either #1 or bombed.
Good call! You may have missed the line where Cillian does say it was in fact a U-boat that got them, not a bomber. This was right before Peter and George went to go get him a second tea cup.

I cant believe it has taken people two viewings to catch the George newspaper emotional payoff/foreshadowing.

xWhereAmI? wrote:I cant believe it has taken people two viewings to catch the George newspaper emotional payoff/foreshadowing.
I only heard he wanted to make a name for himself, didn't really hear the newspaper part. That or I simply didn't connect it. I was thinking more about his situation, I guess. My first theater experience had a very echoey center channel as well.

The first time through a film, people are taking a lot in.

Does anyone know what Mr. Dawson, played by Mark Rylance, says when Peter tells him he didn't see a parachute leave Collins' Spitfire? I heard the second sentence where he tells him he thinks he might be alive, but not the first line where he's practically shouting. Thanks.

Newklear_Phil wrote:Does anyone know what Mr. Dawson, played by Mark Rylance, says when Peter tells him he didn't see a parachute leave Collins' Spitfire? I heard the second sentence where he tells him he thinks he might be alive, but not the first line where he's practically shouting. Thanks.
Something like: "I hear ya, Peter... I hear ya!"

Right?

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Newklear_Phil wrote:Does anyone know what Mr. Dawson, played by Mark Rylance, says when Peter tells him he didn't see a parachute leave Collins' Spitfire? I heard the second sentence where he tells him he thinks he might be alive, but not the first line where he's practically shouting. Thanks.
Something like: "I hear ya, Peter... I hear ya!"

Right?
I think there might be a "Damn it" in there too. "Damn it Peter! I hear ya, Peter, I hear ya!"

Going to watch it again tomorrow, will see if that's what it is.