Dunkirk Screenplay

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
The last shot in the movie was not in the script?

Apparently not.

Nolan did talk about that in some article or interview - about why he chose to end on Tommy's face.

Wait... Nolan talks about it in the chat with his brother in the start of the screenplay book...

On the right page here is Nolan's explanation of why he ended with Fionn's face:
http://i.imgur.com/xOB9IUI.png

dormouse7 wrote:The last two pages of the screenplay.

http://i.imgur.com/cvSwXQG.png
I'm going to play with the Blu-ray when I get it and see which ending I would most prefer. There are three versions I'd like to compare:

1) Theatrical version.
2) Screenplay version.
3) Modified theatrical version (no fade to black before cutting to Fionn's face).

I still think #1 provides the least power, to be honest.

By the way, I'd probably also remove the little "newspaper crumple" audio that he adds on the cut-to-black from Fionn's face.

Can someone please help me out with the screenplay. I've seen the movie twice now, and there have been some political commentators calling Nolan out for not mentioning the "Germans" and instead saying "the enemy" and also minimizing Churchill.

After my 2nd viewing, I remember the character Alex calling the character Gibson:
a "German spy" and a couple other choice words - am I correct? Plus, I seem to recall at least one other character in the movie saying "the Germans" at least once - am I correct? While the opening text crawl doesn't say "Germans", "Germans"
was used later on in the film, at least once, correct?
The thing that stands out to me, is that these political commentators don't seem to care, that thanks to Nolan, more people now know about Dunkirk, "The History of Dunkirk" book has come out as a companion to the movie, along with other historical magazines - why can't they give him credit for that? Nolan is a great director kind of like Hitchcock, who doesn't overstate the politics. Thoughts?

Yes, they do say "German" a couple of times in that regard. If they just said "enemy spy," that wouldn't work for multiple reasons (especially when it comes down to what language or accent we expect them to speak with).

Otherwise, it is mostly regarding "the enemy," or "the perimeter," or something like that.

When German is used in spoken text in the screenplay:
Alex to the Dutch trawler man: Are you German?
Seaman said why they hid away from the boat: In case Germans come.
And Alex to the soldier (not naming for those who haven't seen it) "He's a German spy." and "He's a bloody Jerry."
Last edited by dormouse7 on August 1st, 2017, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oku
What is "spoke text"?

Why don't you first Google something instead of asking after each comment what something means?

Oku

okungnyo wrote:What is "spoke text"?
A typo. Spoken text. I searched for "German" in the Kindle ebook of the screenplay and looked for the word in spoken text as opposed to Nolan's discussions or scene descriptions.