Dunkirk Industry/Celebrity Buzz

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I’ve said this before the awards season started, I’m not invested in Nolan winning because they way these awards work is that you need to have a compelling narrative to win them. Del Toro has a better pull with people and they like him more than Nolan to want him to win. If he gets an Oscar nomination, that’s good enough and a win in my book. He’s going down the same route as Scorsese or Spielberg, he will get one way down his career when the academy can’t ignore him anymore.

I’ve come to accept a gdt win at the oscars. I think nolan will win at bafta though bc it’s his own backyard. But if he’s gonna lose to anyone I’m glad it’s del toro. You can tell how nice of a guy he is, and how passionate he is about the art of cinema, and like nolan he has never been recognized either. Nolan should have been nominated at least by now for sure, but going forward I think he’s gonna be nominated left and right, and yeah eventually he’ll win one down the road

People vote for movies they love more than movies they respect. The Shape of Water is wonderful and politically charged. Dunkirk is idiosyncratic and challenging without a political beat in it.

Just how the game works, sadly.

-Vader

Mark Harris (Journalist: @vulture etc. )
‏Verified account @MarkHarrisNYC
22m22 minutes ago
(Also see the nice comments about Dunkirk on the tweet)
https://twitter.com/MarkHarrisNYC/statu ... 5257156608

Unpopular opinion (which is always a form of preening but I think in this case it might be true): The most under-rewarded movie of 2017 is Dunkirk.

bootsy wrote:Maybe all of the twitter chat about Nolan being snubbed will help going forward.
Personally I'm glad to get reminders that not everyone has as bad taste as all of these voters.

jk but not really.