Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Very pleased with the nominations!

I'm so pleased this got so many nominations unlike Interstellar. Realistically, I think it will win 3 awards:
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Film Editing

Production Design and Cinematography might probably go to BR2049.
Best Score - who knows what mediocre score they're going to choose over Zimmer's score.
Best Picture - the chances seem low.
Best Director - I though it was a lock for him in all awards but Del Toro is coming with full force. We'll see what happens.

LOL Sound Editing and Sound Mixing have the exact same five nominees. I want to consider the two categories purely independent, but it seems there is also a strong correlation between the two.

Saddened that The Big Sick did not get the unused tenth spot in Best Picture, and that Holly Hunter didn't get a supporting actress nom.

Good for Dunkirk. I do wish it got that VFX nom, though.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 10:07 am
I'm so pleased this got so many nominations unlike Interstellar. Realistically, I think it will win 3 awards:
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Film Editing

Production Design and Cinematography might probably go to BR2049.
Best Score - who knows what mediocre score they're going to choose over Zimmer's score.
Best Picture - the chances seem low.
Best Director - I though it was a lock for him in all awards but Del Toro is coming with full force. We'll see what happens.
Again, a sequel has never won that award. I mean, it could win but realistically I think it's between Dunkirk and The Shape of Water. They prefer to honor "original" films.

He fucking did it. Damn proud.

I'm happy overall with how the nominations turned out.

Insomniac wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 10:14 am
Again, a sequel has never won that award. I mean, it could win but realistically I think it's between Dunkirk and The Shape of Water. They prefer to honor "original" films.
Maybe they'll make an exception. Deakins' work is just stunning. BR2049 is one of the most beautiful looking films ever. If it's going to lose, I hope it does to Dunkirk. It would be ridiculous if neither Dunkirk nor BR2049 win for cinematography.

Still can't believe some people thought he wasn't getting a Best Director nom. I think he wins it too.

Blade Runner 2049 - a sequel - are not winning any awards.

This technical fight is between Dunkirk and Shape of Water.

congrats on the noms anyway :gonf: