Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
It's interesting. If you follow the awards season closely on social media and blogs, etc. they really tend to play up the potential cultural impact on Oscar voting and you can take it or leave it, because when it comes down to it, a lot of these Academy members are sort of in a bubble when it comes to this noise.

What Dunkirk had going for it in that sense was the stuff surrounding Charlottesville that happened right after it was in theaters and all of a sudden it seemed like it would be the zeitgeist movie that could propel it to a Best Picture win. Now with all of the women coming forward in Hollywood with the sexual assault accusations, the topic has shifted to it being the year of the woman -- also because there a number of strong female roles in awards contenders (Lady Bird, 3 Billboards, Shape of Water) with LB also being directed by a woman.

..... fleuld by d goldn globes nominations which excluded Greta and Peele from Best Director. ..well well

its high time a movie should be made about this 'movies - oscars - dominant pol.issue- and their political commentary' nonsense and be thrown at the face of the voters and critics.

with campaign qoutes like -
Not for ur consideration but for your shameless typecast votes bcoz this movie offers that tragic depiction of d current social climate which you're lookin for
Last edited by 666kalpa on December 21st, 2017, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

666kalpa wrote: If Nolan doesnt win Best Director.. i am killing somone
:shock:

And they have the nerve to call us Nolan fans crazy!

Well, maybe it's better to break it to you now but I don't think he's the frontrunner. Some are even thinking he might miss the nomination.

I don't think it's entirely politics or some conspiracy; Dunkirk simply doesn't have enough passion behind it - the kind required to top a raft of critics' list or win Best Picture awards. It's very obvious now in hindsight but then I was surprised to see quite a lot of critics who gave it 100 or were very effusive in their praise for it not having it at #1, top 5, or even in their top 10 of the year. Going over those reviews again makes it very clear that they were speaking more from a place of admiration for Nolan's almost faultless execution of such an undertaking. It's just hard to rally behind a movie which scorns character development or foregoes any semblance of a plot.
Ordinarily the effects might not have been so harsh (in terms of awards potential) but this has been an especially strong year, and Dunkirk has to go up against movies with at least the same level of critical approval whose stories also elicit the passion that Dunkirk lacks. There are also others which not be up there in terms of acclaim but will also have connected more broadly with audiences.

you deserve a ban

666kalpa wrote:If Nolan doesnt win Best Director.. i am killing somone

Ruth wrote:
you deserve a ban
sorry ruth..
didnt mean to offend anyone..
neither meant to kill someone literaly
sorry..
got carried away a little
edited the post

People shouldn’t take awards seriously. It’s all subjective. Not winning does not disvalue the quality. Dunkirk even being nominated for so many makes this awards race fun to watch.

Dunkirk will not be nominated for outstanding British film at the BAFTA
One Goliath surprisingly not in the running for outstanding British film in 2018 is Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk, distributed by Warner Bros. Although eligible for consideration as a British film by Bafta’s own criteria (see below), the filmmakers themselves have chosen not to enter the film in the category, deciding instead to concentrate on best film.

It didn’t feel appropriate, somehow, to be in two categories,” Dunkirk producer Emma Thomas tells Screen International. “It’s particularly and singularly a British story, there’s no question of that. But the thing that has been really gratifying to us is how much of a universal appeal the film has had.”
https://www.screendaily.com/features/ba ... 26.article

Go big or go home, is what she always says.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Go big or go home, is what she always says.
But it won't win in the main category. lol

This movie's hardly getting the award attention it deserves from what I've seen. It'll get nominated but it'll hardly win much from what it looks like.