Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
SOME REALLY COOL FYC POSTERS OF DUNKIRK

You can call me a fanboy if you want, but zero BP award for the film with 35 perfect scores on metacritic, while not a single one of those other films in the list have even come close to having that, is a rarity that happens every millennia.

Don't tell me that there isn't anything wrong with this awards season.£

Master Virgo wrote:Image

You can call me a fanboy if you want, but zero BP award for the film with 35 perfect scores on metacritic, while not a single one of those other films in the list have even come close to having that, is a rarity that happens every millennia.

I agree. It seems like filmmaking quality has taken a back seat to making political statements.

Argue with me if you want, but it's true.

I haven’t seen anything on that list but Dunkirk and Get Out, so I don’t feel like I’m in a place to make assumptions yet. But, it is hard to ignore how politically heightened this awards season seems to be.

dormouse7 wrote:via @StylesMovieNews

Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) International Awards nominated Dunkirk for best film, screenplay and direction.

Tom Hardy was also nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

cooldude wrote:
dormouse7 wrote:via @StylesMovieNews

Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) International Awards nominated Dunkirk for best film, screenplay and direction.

Tom Hardy was also nominated for Best Supporting Actor.
why are the Aussies the first people to know what a screenplay and acting are? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dunkirk has picked up 1 Best Picture win in the critics awards recently. Get Out's performance is really befuddling, I thought it was fine but can't understand the love from the critics groups so far.

Tangerine wrote:Dunkirk has picked up 1 Best Picture win in the critics awards recently. Get Out's performance is really befuddling, I thought it was fine but can't understand the love from the critics groups so far.
I'll probably get lashed out at on here, but I really think it's success has more to do with the critics circles trying to make up for "Oscar so white" because I agree with you 100%. Get Out was okay, but in no way do i consider it anywhere near being Oscar worthy.

I disagree, I think Get Out deserves its praise. It is an incredibly layered film. After my second viewing, I was shocked at how much nuance and subtly that I missed initially. Peele put a lot of thought and effort into this, it’s profoundly ambitious while yet not alienating. It’s not at all surprising that it is being re-evaluated by critics.

However, I do appreciate the screenplay far more than the direction. I feel like the visual style kinda abides by generic horror tropes. It’s really from the writing that the film is able to excel.

Master Virgo wrote:Image

That list is honestly making me a little bit mad.

However, we have to remember that the average Academy member is usually older than most other critics. I highly doubt Get Out has a chance at winning BP. Nothing like it has ever won, and I do believe the movie works a lot better for younger generations. Mudbound would honestly be a much better fit as the 'black movie' (if it's even eligible).

Dunkirk is missing the political BS, but it checks every other box as a potential BP winner. And it still ties with the most BP nominations. So I'm still holding my breath. But yeah, this exact year might work against it.