Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Sanchez wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 3:09 pm
I Am The Night wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 7:30 am
So what, just because I'm a Nolan fan doesn't mean I have to put him 1st in the competition. Nolan is incredibly talented and consistent but he's so fucking unlucky.

Dunkirk, while not a great film (in my opinion), it's an incredible directorial achievement. Unfortunately it's up against TSOW, which got a lot of buzz and momentum from the precursors (It's the frontrunner for almost every Best Film awards, along with 3BB). Take out GDT and Nolan would have swept everything

Inception was incredible in both directing and writing, but he was up against Fincher's Social Network, which has one of the best direction I have ever seen in movies. Take out Fincher and Academy's obsession with Hooper and Nolan would had swept everything that year.
So you're saying Del Toro is the worthy winner because he got a lot of buzz...? I don't understand. You say he should win, yet you've only praised Nolan so far. Give me reasons why you think Del Toro's directing is better.
Del Toro's directing is not better than Nolan's, but the film itself is better for me. Dunkirk's character-free plot and lack of emotions clearly hurted Nolan's chance for me.

Like in 2015, George Miller's directing for Mad Max was clearly most showy, but finally Inarritu won, because his film was better.

I'd say Del Toro will win, I didnt say that he should win. Hell for me Denis Villeneuve is the one who deserves it for BR 2049.

I Am The Night wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 2:37 am
Del Toro's directing is not better than Nolan's, but the film itself is better for me. Dunkirk's character-free plot and lack of emotions clearly hurted Nolan's chance for me.

Like in 2015, George Miller's directing for Mad Max was clearly most showy, but finally Inarritu won, because his film was better.

I'd say Del Toro will win, I didnt say that he should win. Hell for me Denis Villeneuve is the one who deserves it for BR 2049.
I Am The Night wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 11:09 pm
Most showy directing doesn't mean best directing. Therefore I agree that Del Toro should take this Oscar.

Sanchez wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 4:07 am
I Am The Night wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 2:37 am

I Am The Night wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 11:09 pm
Most showy directing doesn't mean best directing. Therefore I agree that Del Toro should take this Oscar.
My bad. I mean that of all the 5 nominees Del Toro should and will take it.

But Denis Villeneuve deserves to be nominated and win for me.

Sanchez wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 2:08 am
Frankthetank wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 1:46 am
The academy has given the Oscar to the directorial technical achievement the past five years (Life of Pie, Gravity, Birdman, The Revenant, La La Land), and no one can deny that Dunkirk is that film this year. All are original or feel it(LoP is adaptation I know). All were big hits and made about the same amount of money, besides Birdman which still made $100 million, and all were made by Directors who are accomplished and respected in the industry. So what gives?
I think only Innaritu has won a best picture And all of those directors had won major directorial awards (DGA, BAFTA, previous Oscar etc.) as well as being behind best picture winners (in other categories than the Oscars) either that year or a previous year. Dunkirk doesn't have one single major win for picture or director yet, and neither does Nolan for anything in his career so far.

And if Birdman goes as a technical achievement, then Shape of Water does the same. Remember it's Del Toro we're talking about here. He is also known as a director that pushes boundaries for practical effects in film, even if it's on another scale than Nolan. And sadly he's more liked in the industry than Nolan is, which is the only reason he's winning.
I don’t know if he’s more liked than Nolan, I just feel he’s more likeable if that makes sense. He’s charasmatic AF. and that’s invaluable this time of year. I didn’t mean to come off like I was ranting, I was just deep in thought lol

And it’s not like nolan doesn’t get nominated a shit bunch, he just never wins at these award shows. Btw I checked his IMDb and it says he has like 200 nominations to his name, which means there are way too many critics groups.

I find it odd how surprised everyone is by this. Dunkirk was a huge risk because Nolan assumed the lack of plot and character development (or just, characters) and a focus on pure survival and tension was enough to draw people in, it wasn't. At the end of the day, plot and characters trump spectacle. Especially with award ceremonies. The people that vote on these things are actors, what the fuck are actors gonna think about Dunkirk. It's a directors movie, like Fury Road. Dunkirk is going to do well with the technical categories I have no doubt about that.

Reaveybeach wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 8:02 am
I find it odd how surprised everyone is by this. Dunkirk was a huge risk because Nolan assumed the lack of plot and character development (or just, characters) and a focus on pure survival and tension was enough to draw people in, it wasn't. At the end of the day, plot and characters trump spectacle. Especially with award ceremonies. The people that vote on these things are actors, what the fuck are actors gonna think about Dunkirk. It's a directors movie, like Fury Road. Dunkirk is going to do well with the technical categories I have no doubt about that.
Very good post. I made this claim before in other movie forums. I admit it's a great directorial achievement but as a film it just didn't do enough for me, and maybe for the voters as well. TSOW's directing is not as showy as Dunkirk but the character and plot saved it and drag Del Toro to the position of frontrunner for months and now a lock.

During this award season, directing is what sets Nolan and Del Toro apart from other contenders, while story and characters is what gives Del Toro the advantages. That's my conclusion.

But Dunkirk did draw people in. People went to see it on the big screen and it made millions in box office. One of the reasons why I love Dunkirk so much is that it challenges people's definition of what a movie is supposed to be like, and what I've learned from watching a decent number of movies is that a movie can be about anything and it doesn't have to conform to any structure or law or rule. It can be anything.

It is unfortunate that a lot of people including voters are still attached to the conventional ways of filmmaking. They look for over played, over acted, typical "Hollywood" like characters and plot and there's no room for experimentation.

Frankthetank wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 5:10 am
I don’t know if he’s more liked than Nolan, I just feel he’s more likeable if that makes sense. He’s charasmatic AF. and that’s invaluable this time of year. I didn’t mean to come off like I was ranting, I was just deep in thought lol

And it’s not like nolan doesn’t get nominated a shit bunch, he just never wins at these award shows. Btw I checked his IMDb and it says he has like 200 nominations to his name, which means there are way too many critics groups.
If you haven't figured out by now that most of these awards are popularity contests just as much as they're awarding quality, I don't know what to tell you. Del Toro is more liked in general by people in the industry. No doubt about it. If not just for his personality and the fact that he's been making movies for ten years longer, he's also been Oscar campaigning before, which means he's put way more effort into befriending people than Nolan.

Reaveybeach wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 8:02 am
This sums it up pretty well.

I think only Nolan is on the confirmed attendees list for BAFTAs. I am still hoping the actors get to attend. Even Hoyte and Zimmer are not on the confirmed list. But the confirmed attendees slist is small and the place has 3000 seats.

----

Will Mavity
@mavericksmovies
21h
Dunkirk sent out a 30 page book as part of The Hollywood Reporter today. Stealthfully aggressive campaign there all season long
https://twitter.com/mavericksmovies/sta ... 8932987904