Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
triptych wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 5:36 am
Awwwwwwww Image
They are so adorable. Thanks for sharing!

Something my sister said to me while discussing the nominees today:
"Oscar or not, Nolan is still the biggest winner out of all the nominees. He probably has the biggest paycheck and his film is the highest grossing out of the Best Picture nominees."
:o She's not wrong, but damn I still want him to win T_T

BTW I found this interesting:
The 90th Academy Awards have broken a record for the number of married couples that share a nomination. Among them include: Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan (Best Picture for Dunkirk); JoAnne Sellar and Daniel Lupi (Best Picture for Phantom Thread); Elaine McMillion Sheldon and Kerrin Sheldon (Best Documentary Short for Heroin(e)); Kate Davis and David Heilbroner (Best Documentary Short for Traffic Stop); Max Porter and Ru Kuwahata (Best Animated Short for Negative Space); Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani (Best Original Screenplay for The Big Sick); Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez (Best Original Song for Coco); and Dorota Kobiela and Hugh Welchman (Best Animated Feature for Loving Vincent).

triptych wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 5:04 am
How easy Nolan could have sweep this award season if GDT didn't release last year.
Shape of Water is one of GDT dullest movies. Like many other times, there are films which simply gain traction during this award season (for a variety of reasons). Looking at his award rivals, none are extraordinary films in any way that could legitimate upset great movies. Dunkirk simply isn't liked enough. If it wasn't Shape, it would be something else.

Peele and Gerwig are first timers. Mcdonagh simply doesn't have the prestige to win BD, confirmed by his lack of an Oscar nom. Was slightly scared they would sacrifice Nolan for his spot. PTA's name came late into the awards game so his chances are very slim. And well everyone is just tired of Spielberg winning. So, yes, I would argue that Nolan could have easily sweeped this award season, if GDT did not come into play.

via @StylesMovieNews - Chris and Emma at the Academy Awards luncheon

Ace

^What a wonderful picture!

Gary loves Chris and talks about him like every moment possible. Heartwarming picture.