Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Warner Bros. aren't fucking around.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I don't know why more studios aren't as ready to do something like that. I don't care if it's Dunkirk or Steel Magnolias, give them the best theatrical reproduction possible. DVD just doesn't cut it anymore.

The problem is I wonder how many of these Academy art snobs actually have a 4K-ready HDTV.
Well, they're certainly all rich enough to afford one.

In terms of cinematogarphy: Dunkirk > Blade Runner 2049
music: it's a tie (none of them are Zimmer's best work) I guess WIlliams will win for The Post.
directing: It'd give the noms to Muschietti, Villenueve, Nolan, Peele and Mangold at this time. Danny and Mangold being my fronrunners for the award.

LelekPL wrote: It'd give the noms to Muschietti, Villenueve, Nolan, Peele and Mangold at this time. Danny and Mangold being my fronrunners for the award.
sorry but what

Oh yeah, I forgot about Matt Reeves... he should get a nom as well at this time.

Oh, and for Dunkirk - Sound editing and mixing. It's going to win, no fucking contest!

But if the score uses stuff from Vangelis' sountrack it won't be eligible right?

Guess it could help with refreshing the minds of the members about Hans since Blade-Runner is out two months after Dunkirk and maybe give Dunkirk a tiny advantage from it.

Only one cue featured music by Vangelis, the rest is original material by Wallfisch and Zimmer.

Seriously, it's gonna be very close for cinematography. Both Dunkirk and BR2049 are visually stunning!

LelekPL wrote:In terms of cinematogarphy: Dunkirk > Blade Runner 2049
music: it's a tie (none of them are Zimmer's best work) I guess WIlliams will win for The Post.
directing: It'd give the noms to Muschietti, Villenueve, Nolan, Peele and Mangold at this time. Danny and Mangold being my fronrunners for the award.
Villenueve? Hummm... I don't know...

LeoCobb wrote:
LelekPL wrote:In terms of cinematogarphy: Dunkirk > Blade Runner 2049
Villenueve? Hummm... I don't know...
Villeneuve has a better chance than everyone else LelekPL mentioned save Nolan

Michaelf2225 wrote: Villeneuve has a better chance than everyone else LelekPL mentioned save Nolan
100%

The rest of the movies this year has to be absolute dogshit for Mangold to even get nominated. I hope they give a nod to Muschietti and Peele, but most likely not both of them, and a win is highly unlikely, the way I see it.