Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

The 80 score on the CriticsChoice website (formerly BFCA.org) may put it out of contention in major categories should that score stand (ie all Best Pic nominees the last five years scored 85 or higher; 59 out of 62 have since the Academy expanded the Best Pic category) but I'm guessing it's premature. :think:

Really I just want to see Nolan get an overdue Best Director nomination if nothing else; the Director's Guild has nominated him 3 times (Memento, The Dark Knight, Inception) yet the Academy has continued to snub him :judge: I don't even care if he wins (hell Hitchcock and Kubrick never won) just to see him get a well deserved nomination would be nice. :thumbup:

lcbaseball22 wrote:The 80 score on the CriticsChoice website (formerly BFCA.org) may put it out of contention in major categories should that score stand (ie all Best Pic nominees the last five years scored 85 or higher; 59 out of 62 have since the Academy expanded the Best Pic category) but I'm guessing it's premature. :think:

Really I just want to see Nolan get an overdue Best Director nomination if nothing else; the Director's Guild has nominated him 3 times (Memento, The Dark Knight, Inception) yet the Academy has continued to snub him :judge: I don't even care if he wins (hell Hitchcock and Kubrick never won) just to see him get a well deserved nomination would be nice. :thumbup:
I still hold out hope that Dunkirk will win Best Director, Cinematography, Score, Editing, both Sound Awards, and maybe Production Design.

Then I feel like some smaller, more political film will win BP like Detroit.

lcbaseball22 wrote:The 80 score on the CriticsChoice website (formerly BFCA.org)
Um, tbh, I was worried about this score a little. People here were freaking out when it dropped fast to 86 and no one could understand what's wrong. But then I saw some tweet on twitter saying that it is like 5 people who voted there and this person even named scores of that 5 people. I didn't believe it first (bc i really don't know if it was true or not), but then it stuck on 86 for days and dropped only yesterday to 85 and then to 80... that made me think there are really like 7 people who voted and tbh it would explain why the score is so low. When we have amazing reviews everywhere. (sorry about my english. I'm not a native speaker)

Eleni wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:The 80 score on the CriticsChoice website (formerly BFCA.org)
Um, tbh, I was worried about this score a little. People here were freaking out when it dropped fast to 86 and no one could understand what's wrong. But then I saw some tweet on twitter saying that it is like 5 people who voted there and this person even named scores of that 5 people. I didn't believe it first (bc i really don't know if it was true or not), but then it stuck on 86 for days and dropped only yesterday to 85 and then to 80... that made me think there are really like 7 people who voted and tbh it would explain why the score is so low. When we have amazing reviews everywhere. (sorry about my english. I'm not a native speaker)
Yeah, it's probably less than 10 reviewers at this point; they are somewhat notorious for prematurely posting scores but not saying how many or who. I like to reference them but it can be annoying when you don't know if the score has settled out or not. Anyways, just saying if the score doesn't rebound to at least 85 I would say Best Pic is unlikely based on past trends. :X Just something to keep in mind folks.

The Oscar voter perspective is often different from the critics however the BFCA critics for whatever reason have tended to bridge that gap. The Tree of Life is one of the few exceptions where a respectively lower score from the CriticsChoice circle (78) was nominated for Best Pic.

Technical - yes (except VFX, there's too little)

Directing - yes

Screenplay - FUCKIN NO

^ why? Could you elaborate? I'm genuinely curious because you've been calling the screenplay horrible but never given any reasons. And it's an unusual complaint since I've yet to hear any reviews mentioning that.

Just got out of the cinema and I'll be shocked if there's a better score or better cinematography this year

Saw it today.It has a shot for best director , best picture,best sound mix and design and best cinematography.

Bale Fan wrote:^ why? Could you elaborate? I'm genuinely curious because you've been calling the screenplay horrible but never given any reasons. And it's an unusual complaint since I've yet to hear any reviews mentioning that.
OK, if you're asking.
The quality of the screenplay of Dunkirk is, IMO, a direct contradiction to the incredible technical quality it possess.

Most annoying is the presence of a large number of frankly ridiculous dialogues. For the quick example, the character of Jack Lowden calls his peer or someone at his age group, visually, "a son". Dialogues spoked by Rylance's Dawson generally do not stand for themselves at any adequate analysis. The reason is, I don't even remember what he was mumbling about half the road! And his constant Spitfire's exaltation was so openly written, it was Nolan's words from Dawson's mouth, not Dawson's own. And I do not even remember what the other characters were talking about, except for a few memorable phrases of some soldiers on the beach and Kenneth Branagh's character Bolton. But, while his words were memorable, they were painfully obvious and, let me say, magicless. Magicless, is what I can say about the whole bunch of dialogues in this one. Nolan said that we do not need their (characters') personal stories to watch their doings, but why include scenes in which they act in accordance with their traits, then? Like where Rylance was desperately crushing his boat to save Collins, who stucked in his plane during the water landing?

And one more thing. This film is like one-sided as hell. I'm not British. We were told that it was not only for the British, but how to take these words seriously after they treated the French, the French, the direct participants in those events, in such a way that they've only got a couple of mentions and one appearance at the beginning and the end? Let the Dutch alone, really, with one poor character from their side.