IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

Miles wrote:I need your help guys and gals...

I'm in a predicament. I have tickets to two different showings on 7/20. One at a local digital IMAX and one at King of Prussia 70mm IMAX. My question is the screens are virtually the same (48x75 vs 51x71) so is 15/70 worth the extra 40 minute drive. I realize that's minuscule compared to the trips that some folks are taking. And I know the resolution will be much better in 15/70 but if the screens are the same, would the aspect ratio matter that much? Any advice is appreciated!
The screens may be similar sized overall but King of Prussia has the taller aspect ratio and more image for the IMAX sequences. Plus, better resolution. So yes, 15/70 is absolutely worth it.

Miles wrote:I need your help guys and gals...

I'm in a predicament. I have tickets to two different showings on 7/20. One at a local digital IMAX and one at King of Prussia 70mm IMAX. My question is the screens are virtually the same (48x75 vs 51x71) so is 15/70 worth the extra 40 minute drive. I realize that's minuscule compared to the trips that some folks are taking. And I know the resolution will be much better in 15/70 but if the screens are the same, would the aspect ratio matter that much? Any advice is appreciated!
Of course it's worth the 40 minute drive.

Vader182 wrote:Discussing resolution is absurd.

-Vader
Exactly, it's just one aspect of image quality and not even the most important one.

16mm already has enough resolution for any feature film on any subject.
More can be nice to have, from time to time, but is in no way vital.

Exception of course is when you do a FULL proper 4K movie with the added benefit of well executed lighting, color, etc. Bridge of Spies for example was extraordinary in 4K.

And the primary exception is of course IMAX.

-Vader

oh man i never realized how badly i needed to see Janusz’s work in UHD until now

Trax-3 wrote: Exactly, it's just one aspect of image quality and not even the most important one.

16mm already has enough resolution for any feature film on any subject.
More can be nice to have, from time to time, but is in no way vital.
16mm can be pretty blurry. And in my opinion, resolution is far more important. Obviously it becomes harder and harder to notice as it increases, but I'd rather have crystal clear imagery, where you can zoom in and see all the details, than slightly more accurate colors, deeper blacks and whiter whites. Colors can also easily be enhanced, you can't enhance resolution. Greater resolution allows movies to be displayed on larger screens without as noticeable blurriness or pixelation.

What you said about resolution, the same could be said about color.
Vader182 wrote:Discussing resolution is absurd.

-Vader
It's not silly to talk about resolution, it directly impacts image quality, whether the average person notices it or not while watching The Revenant. You may not notice the difference between 55 FPS and 60 FPS in a game, but one is certainly better than the other.
Last edited by Geoffrey on July 12th, 2017, 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

^ there are so many factually wrong things in that post i don’t know where to start

Now updated and WB approved!

(this is why I had to delete it last week off my Twitter and stuff, Burbank emailed)

Michaelf2225 wrote:^ there are so many factually wrong things in that post i don’t know where to start
How about you actually try? Because there are no "factually wrong things".