IMAX Locations and Info Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Geoffrey wrote:You're just pulling that out of your ass. You really don't know. "1K", would be 720 by 1280, you'd notice pixels everywhere. 35mm is at the very least 4K.
I confirm what I said: If you're very lucky (spoiler: You can't) a 35 mm projection can be compared to a 2K projection.

SydneyBlue120d wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:You're just pulling that out of your ass. You really don't know. "1K", would be 720 by 1280, you'd notice pixels everywhere. 35mm is at the very least 4K.
I confirm what I said: If you're very lucky (spoiler: You can't) a 35 mm projection can be compared to a 2K projection.
I can confirm you don't know what you're speaking of. Virtually everyone agrees 35mm is equivalent 6K or 4K. Nolan himself says it's like 6K. Some shoddy projection isn't going to lower the resolution to 1K or 2K.

Geoffrey wrote:I can confirm you don't know what you're speaking of. Virtually everyone agrees 35mm is equivalent 6K or 4K. Nolan himself says it's like 6K. Some shoddy projection isn't going to lower the resolution to 1K or 2K.
I respect Your opinion, but I continue to strongly disagree with You, and it will be fun to see the movie in 35 mm and then projected with a Sony R515, to compare the "6K" of 35 mm with a real 4K.

If you say to me that IMAX 70mm is superior to a 4K projection having experienced both with TDKR, the former at the now defunct IMAX Riccione, one of the biggest screen in Europe and the latter with a Sony R320 (again, at time the best digital projector in the world) I can confirm they were really close. I would be really curious to compare the IMAX 70 mm to Dolby Vision, this would be the most interesting comparison, and I hope someone in USA will make this test :thumbup:

SydneyBlue120d wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:I can confirm you don't know what you're speaking of. Virtually everyone agrees 35mm is equivalent 6K or 4K. Nolan himself says it's like 6K. Some shoddy projection isn't going to lower the resolution to 1K or 2K.
I respect Your opinion, but I continue to strongly disagree with You, and it will be fun to see the movie in 35 mm and then projected with a Sony R515, to compare the "6K" of 35 mm with a real 4K.

If you say to me that IMAX 70mm is superior to a 4K projection having experienced both with TDKR, the former at the now defunct IMAX Riccione, one of the biggest screen in Europe and the latter with a Sony R320 (again, at time the best digital projector in the world) I can confirm they were really close. I would be really curious to compare the IMAX 70 mm to Dolby Vision, this would be the most interesting comparison, and I hope someone in USA will make this test :thumbup:
Even more interesting - compare 70mm imax with some oled tv lol.

Discussing resolution is absurd. It's important, but the characteristics of perceived resolution vary dramatically from how resolution itself is tested. For example, there's many 2K finished digital movies that are shot beautifully and color saturation, carefully lit spaces, contrast all create an image with more detail and dimensional than many 4K finished films. Skyfall has more detail and depth than the majority of 4K movies I've seen/

Watch Revenant on UHD and try and figure out which shots are 2.3ish K (forget) and which are 4K, captured at 6K.

You probably won't be able to.

-Vader

For those of you in Southern California/Orange County, this is a great theatre.
Last edited by The Special One on July 12th, 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I need your help guys and gals...

I'm in a predicament. I have tickets to two different showings on 7/20. One at a local digital IMAX and one at King of Prussia 70mm IMAX. My question is the screens are virtually the same (48x75 vs 51x71) so is 15/70 worth the extra 40 minute drive. I realize that's minuscule compared to the trips that some folks are taking. And I know the resolution will be much better in 15/70 but if the screens are the same, would the aspect ratio matter that much? Any advice is appreciated!