DVD/Blu-ray Release

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
55" is enough unless you sit really far away from the TV.

OLED is still really expensive, but gives an absolutely stunning picture. Regular LEDs with HDR might provide brighter light, but OLED is insane with stuff that's darker because it can completely turn off pixels where it's black, so you literally get 100% blackness.

I have a friend who bought an OLED TV just two weeks ago, and we didn't see a massive difference with Planet Earth 2 (which is by far the best piece of 4K HDR Blu-Ray I've ever seen, it almost made me cry the first time I watched it), since 90% of the time it shows bright images. But when we tried watching The Hobbit it was really easy to tell the difference.

Ah yes, so a combination of the technology should theoretically be the best right? The 4K blu-rays can handle HFR iirc? That is, whenever they decide to release The Hobbit Trilogy in HFR that it matters a bit... Come to think of it, Cameron is going to dive into HFR too so I guess it will be possible to watch those films in HFR.

Either way, HFR is just a side-note, almost no films are being shot in that anyway and I still don't think it's going to come in big anytime soon.

I think what's the most important thing when it comes to all that tech is the content... They started like what, last year with releasing films on 4K? I think it's going to take awhile before the bulk of it all is available in 4K to begin with lol

What is the difference between "Steelbook", "Filmbook", "Digibook" ?

Why does UK have Filmbook and Best Buy has Steelbook?

What I want is that cover with Tommy & Alex climbing the side of the boat (the UK Filmbook cover), but in the US, with DVD and Blu-ray and optionally digital in it.

---
btw Walmart lists a DVD-only version for $19.96
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dunkirk-2017-DVD/416009775

Honestly I thought DVD's would have died by now.

They should have.

dormouse7 wrote:What is the difference between "Steelbook", "Filmbook", "Digibook" ?
Filmbooks & Digibooks are the same thing. They look very cool and usually come with a sample of the accompanying art book.

Steelbooks on the other hand are made of metal and usually have much more interesting artwork than regular BD cases.

dormouse7 wrote:Why does UK have Filmbook and Best Buy has Steelbook?
Well, I don't know how it is decided. For Interstellar the UK had the digibook while other parts of Europe had the steelbook shown above. US got the steelbook and a neocase (which is another type of cases).

I think Target might get the digibook too (judging by the way WB handled Wonder Woman), and Best Buy will have a regular BD steelbook + a 4K UHD steelbook. It's still unclear how the BB steelbook looks.

Nomis wrote:Ah yes, so a combination of the technology should theoretically be the best right? The 4K blu-rays can handle HFR iirc? That is, whenever they decide to release The Hobbit Trilogy in HFR that it matters a bit... Come to think of it, Cameron is going to dive into HFR too so I guess it will be possible to watch those films in HFR.

Either way, HFR is just a side-note, almost no films are being shot in that anyway and I still don't think it's going to come in big anytime soon.

I think what's the most important thing when it comes to all that tech is the content... They started like what, last year with releasing films on 4K? I think it's going to take awhile before the bulk of it all is available in 4K to begin with lol
Yeah, and most of the ones being released still, are only upscales of the original 2K version. A lot of the time the publishers haven't gone through the process of rendering everything again for 4K becaue the market still isn't huge on 4K. The trend is starting to change now, but both 4K blu ray discs and players are still pretty expensive. So the consumers can't take all the blame.

dormouse7 wrote:What is the difference between "Steelbook", "Filmbook", "Digibook" ?

Why does UK have Filmbook and Best Buy has Steelbook?

What I want is that cover with Tommy & Alex climbing the side of the boat (the UK Filmbook cover), but in the US, with DVD and Blu-ray and optionally digital in it.

---
btw Walmart lists a DVD-only version for $19.96
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dunkirk-2017-DVD/416009775

So far the only release with the cover you would like to have is the filmbook/digibook edition from Europe.

I dont think it will come with a dvd. Not sure about digital copy, but so far the only confirmed information we have is that it will have two blu-rays (film+extras). Thats based on the Czech confirmation and their releases are always the same as other European releases, only exception being digital copies offered in some countries.

I have ordered mine from Zavvi (UK), but its already sold out there so the only other option would be Amazon. They ship worldwide and since its a Warner release blu-rays will be region free.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunkirk-Filmbo ... k+digibook

Sanchez wrote:
Nomis wrote:Ah yes, so a combination of the technology should theoretically be the best right? The 4K blu-rays can handle HFR iirc? That is, whenever they decide to release The Hobbit Trilogy in HFR that it matters a bit... Come to think of it, Cameron is going to dive into HFR too so I guess it will be possible to watch those films in HFR.

Yeah, and most of the ones being released still, are only upscales of the original 2K version. A lot of the time the publishers haven't gone through the process of rendering everything again for 4K becaue the market still isn't huge on 4K. The trend is starting to change now, but both 4K blu ray discs and players are still pretty expensive. So the consumers can't take all the blame.
True true, I think it's going to take some time. Same as it did with blu-ray.