Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Beyond made 59 mil on its ow, with a similar midnight preview performance. If this doesn't reach at least 50, that would be kind of weird.£

It might frontloaded because of Nolan's fanbase, but I think anything above $40M would be a success.

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
Based off of last night's numbers I can't see this opening below 50 million. I could even see it going in the high 60's.

Don't be surprised if "Girls Trip" is close or even beats it...Lots of buzz for that one from it's core audience

radewart wrote:Don't be surprised if "Girls Trip" is close or even beats it...Lots of buzz for that one from it's core audience
Must be strictly domestic though and no match for overseas buzz for Chris

ChrisNolann wrote:BoxOffice Pro:
‘Dunkirk’ Off To Strong Start Overseas
Warner Bros.’ Dunkirk opened in seven European markets on Wednesday with $2.2 million, good for first place in every territory. France began with $1.1 million, higher than the French opening day gross for Christopher Nolan’s previous directorial effort Interstellar. Other European territories already released include Sweden, Norway, and Finland.

The film will play in 46 overseas markets this weekend and is especially expected to do huge business in the U.K., where the film takes place and because all of its lead actors are British: Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Harry Styles, and Fionn Whitehead. Ahead of its Friday release domestically, the film is also expected to easily capture the first place spot in the U.S. as well.

However, the film will not be released in China until September 1. While guaranteed to lead the U.S. box office this weekend, leading the global box office will prove harder without China yet in release. Plus two films earned more than $100 million globally last weekend, continuing stiff competition: Spider-Man: Homecoming with $116.4 million and War for the Planet of the Apes with $100.7 million.
This is fantastic

Mantis Toboggan wrote:Based off of last night's numbers I can't see this opening below 50 million. I could even see it going in the high 60's.
Word of mouth will propel this movie to great heights.

Friday, 2nd update, 12:47PM: Warner Bros.’ Dunkirk is poised to overperform as originally expected off its great word of mouth and film reviews. Industry estimates see the film landing between $19.5M-$22M today with three-day that’s at $55M-plus. That figure beats both the 3-day ($47.5M) and 5-day ($49.7M) of Christopher Nolan’s previous movie Interstellar. That sci-fi-think film cost $165M before P&A and was in the black with more than $47M-plus. Dunkirk‘s net production cost is speculated at $150M. Some rival estimates even think Dunkirk could get to $57M-$59M.
http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-val ... 202132847/
Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk is easily winning the Friday box-office battle for a projected $45 million-$50 million debut, marking the best opening for a World War II movie in recent times. Dunkirk is expected to earn $17 million or more on Friday, including $5.5 million in Thursday night previews. The critically acclaimed film, from Warner Bros., is playing in 3,720 locations and is getting a wide berth in Imax theaters and on 70mm screens.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/w ... ng-1023378

Oku
That's great news, but I'm still biting my nails on how general audiences will take to the film after Thursday/Friday, word-of-mouth/CinemaScore and all.