Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

Honestly the film, making some money is much more important to me than winning any awards. But unfortunately at the moment the former seems a lot more probable than the later. I guess Nolan had to make a flop to satisfy all them snobs after all, lol.£

Wait...
Master Virgo wrote:... making some money is much more important to me than winning any awards.
Master Virgo wrote:... unfortunately at the moment the former seems a lot more probable than the later.
... come again?
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on July 20th, 2017, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If this matches Interstellar's opening weekend then it's a huge win. High 50's would be a minor miracle.

Ah yeah the other way around. lol.£

'Dunkirk' and 'Valerian' Bring Big Budgets to the Weekend, but Will They Bring Big Box Office?
Poised for a #1 finish, Warner Bros.' release of Dunkirk debuts this weekend in 3,720 theaters, including several IMAX and PLF locations, some of which will be playing the film in 70mm. Nolan's recent history is peppered with three Batman films along with three original features, and while 2006's The Prestige only debuted with $14.8 million, Inception kicked things off with $62.7 million and Interstellar delivered $47.5 million as Nolan became more and more of a household name while also delivering films that appealed to a wide audience.

In fact, beyond opening weekend, Nolan's films tend to play for a very long time. Following the $47.5 million opening, Interstellar went on to gross $188 million domestically, a nearly 4x multiplier. Going back to the release of Insomnia in 2002, Nolan's films have delivered, on average, a 3.69x multiplier, best among them the 4.66x multiplier for Inception. So whether Dunkirk debuts on the high or low end of expectations this weekend, Nolan's history bodes well for the film's future. Also working in the film's favor is the Metacritic score, which has been holding steady at 96 while online ticket retailer Fandango.com reports the film is outselling Interstellar at the same point in the company's sales cycle.

Looking at IMDb page view data for additional signs of how Dunkirk will perform we find it outpacing Captain Phillips ($25m opening), Unbroken ($30.6m opening) and Fury ($23.7m opening) while at the same time outpacing Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation ($55.5m opening) and The Magnificent Seven ($34.7m opening). Compared to Interstellar, Dunkirk is pacing slightly behind and the same goes for Mad Max: Fury Road, but that's to be expected given some films are a little more Internet friendly than others.

Industry expectations for the film's opening are around $35-40 million, which feels a little conservative given the buzz, particularly over the last week or so, once reviews started to come in. However, we used similar logic last weekend with the release of War for the Planet of the Apes and vastly overestimated how that film would perform. Nevertheless, we're still anticipating an opening anywhere from $45-55 million. While the majority of big releases lately have been targeting adult males, Dunkirk should appeal to an audience that might not necessarily be coming out for Spider-Man: Homecoming and War of the Apes, helping push the film's opening higher than anticipated.

Internationally, Dunkirk debuted on Wednesday in seven European markets, bringing in $2.2 million, including $1.1 million from France alone. This weekend the film will release in 46 total markets including Russia, Korea, Australia, UK and Spain.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4307&p=.htm

Local 578 seat IMAX is currently at 89% full for 6p show and 88% full for 9p show.
Something to keep in mind regarding this evening's shows is that Apes made $5 million on Thursday last week on it's way to $56 million. Anything close to 5 million for Dunkirk tonight would be an excellent start.

I have a good feeling about tonight. I went to the Apes 8p show last week and it was maybe 70% full. This was on Edwards biggest non-IMAX hall. I was told both IMAX shows tonight will sell out and an additional 200+ seat hall will also eventually sell out.

Master Virgo wrote:Honestly the film, making some money is much more important to me than winning any awards. But unfortunately at the moment the former seems a lot more probable than the later. I guess Nolan had to make a flop to satisfy all them snobs after all, lol.£
Flop?