Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

ChrisNolann wrote:I think one of main factors to increase Dunkirk BO total is Critics' Reviews
Interstellar got less than expected (at least domestically) because some critics' though it's was not what they expected
For Dunkirk if it gets a critical acclaim the opening weekend will be ore than $60 million, everybody is gonna want to see that incredible war movie everyone is praising.
Critics poorly reviewing Interstellar had nothing to do with it being "not what they expected". Some people thought it was overly sentimental, some criticized some of the problems with the story, some said it was too long, et cetera.

Valerian official reviews are just now coming out and they are not very good. Entertainment Weekly just gave it a C-

Oku

And one of those reviewers (Stephen Whitty) was the guy who said he couldn't wait to review Dunkirk :lol:

Valerian Reviews :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Todd McCarthy’s review read like he was personally offended by the film, lol.

Anyway, while it's somewhat of a relief that this won’t really cut into Dunkirk's box office, I’m still a bit disappointed by the mixed reception. I was actually looking forward to it, I guess I still am to a degree.

There really is barely any hype for the film in Germany. The trailers on Youtube have less views than those of many other movies, and in the forums where I'm active most people really don't care or dislike the movie because it's not a war drama (they wanna see more of the historical background) and because the germans are just faceless baddies. For opening day (July 27th), the Cinestar IMAX Berlin (4k Laser), which has 350 seats, has sold barely any tickets so far, only 48 for the whole day where 4 screenings are happening.

Dobson wrote:There really is barely any hype for the film in Germany. The trailers on Youtube have less views than those of many other movies, and in the forums where I'm active most people really don't care or dislike the movie because it's not a war drama (they wanna see more of the historical background) and because the germans are just faceless baddies. For opening day (July 27th), the Cinestar IMAX Berlin (4k Laser), which has 350 seats, has sold barely any tickets so far, only 48 for the whole day where 4 screenings are happening.
You don't get to speak for Germany.

Faceless villains is the preferable outcome. We don't need another Inglorious Basterds situation.

MyCocaine wrote:
Dobson wrote:There really is barely any hype for the film in Germany. The trailers on Youtube have less views than those of many other movies, and in the forums where I'm active most people really don't care or dislike the movie because it's not a war drama (they wanna see more of the historical background) and because the germans are just faceless baddies. For opening day (July 27th), the Cinestar IMAX Berlin (4k Laser), which has 350 seats, has sold barely any tickets so far, only 48 for the whole day where 4 screenings are happening.
You don't get to speak for Germany.

Faceless villains is the preferable outcome. We don't need another Inglorious Basterds situation.
I justed reported what I noticed, I'm not judging there. So calm your horses.

Personally, I like the direction of the movie and I'm excited for it, already bought 2 tickets (4k Laser and 70mm respectively).