Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Sky007 wrote:The next two weeks are vital to this being a 35 mil OW or a 50 mil OW. Reviews and WOM will be more vital here than any of Nolan's previous spectacles.
The Styles factor is still unknown, but that could be a bigger push than expected. A Leo/Titanic effect.

This'll all be easier to gauge once we get to the week of and the hype is at full force.

This film feels a lot like the weeks before Inception.
Good point. Much like Inception, people simply don't know how a summer war film will play.

You know, it’d be interesting if someone can find the tracking predictions made by experts for Inception during this stage.

let the predictions begin..I'm going with a 45 mil OW...whoever is the farthest from the actual OW number buys the first round ;)

Oku
cooldude wrote:You know, it’d be interesting if someone can find the tracking predictions made by experts for Inception during this stage.
All I could find was this: http://www.thewrap.com/inception-sellin ... ter-18362/
[...]

Indeed, box office analysts say Warners should aim for something in the $50 million to $70 million range on opening weekend, not that far removed from "Avatar."

[...]
And Inception ended up making $62 million opening weekend.

Not exactly what I was looking for. The article was written on July 14, two days before the release of the film. I’m rather interested in something close to Dunkirk timeline, like two weeks before the release.

Edit: Nevermind, I clearly missed the June part, lol

Thanks

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime

Vader182 wrote:This isn't as bad as it sounds but WB need to step the fuck up.

Dunkirk's box office is going to have to over-perform and have crazy legs just to be decently profitable. The two closest comparisons we have are Fury and Hacksaw Ridge. They opened at 24 million and 15 million respectively, going on to earn 211 million and 175 million. This is noteworthy and concerning for a few reasons. The first is the problem of opening weekend. Fury and Ridge were both made for a lot less (40-70 million) and had way smaller marketing budgets. Fury also came out in the middle of FALL. Dunkirk's budget is probably in the 150-200 million range and marketing is probably in that same range. In this case, both Fury and Ridge got good reviews and had strong legs. Fury had an opening weekend multiplier by 8 and Ridge did by about 11.

IF we assume Dunkirk won't do worse than Fury or Ridge, the global cume comes at a conservative 280-
385 million. BUT, Dunkirk should exceed that 11x multiplier because:

1.) historically long legs + word of mouth

2.) China + big international push

3.) August and September lack a likely blockbuster, main competition will be already released movies.

So Dunkirk probably won't struggle too hard to break even or slightly exceed the 400 million range. Again, this is assuming all else is equal. Movie could still be just okay, too experimental and alienating, the lack of stars could hurt it, and audiences frankly may not be interested in a serious war picture in a dire political climate especially next to an adult-oriented blockbuster like Apes.

We've really all been saying stuff like this since day one of the project announcement. WB better have an ace in the hole and continue ramping up the huge marketing push these last two and a half weeks.

-Vader
Almost no one except my immediate friends know what this film is... I've been saying WB's marketing of this film has been awful and I really do feel like it'll hurt the film. Hope this isn't the case (and if it is the case, I hope it doesn't affect Nolan's filmmaking in the future) but I don't see this film being the hit all of the people in this section seem to think it will be.

Inception had enormous hype across the internet and the trailers had everyone talking. Dunkirk has neither of those things.

Bad comparison.

Totally anecdotal evidence, but every Nolan movie to date has been an event in my extended group of friends. Had 20-25 people go to TDKR and Interstellar across different days, but I think Interstellar's Friday night had like 23 of my friends go at one time. It was wild, but it was expected because hey, it's a new Christopher Nolan movie. The only thing worse than my friends barely caring about Dunkirk is that they're actually surprised it's a Nolan movie. That speaks volumes about the effectiveness for the marketing.

"That's weird I thought he was just producing it or something..."

-Vader

Oku
A lot of that has to do with how barren 2010 was for WB in terms of big-budget tentpoles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... ilms#2010s

So there was a fire under their butts to make Inception a hit.

But this year, they've had a sizable hit in Kong: Skull Island, a certified hit in Wonder Woman, and a sure-to-be-mega-hit in Justice League.

There is no fire under their butts because they've already made their billions.

WB is in a position to comfortably shrug off Dunkirk underperforming, so that's what it seems to be doing.

You think Warner Brothers is shrugging off a 200-300 million dollar investment because they are making money from other releases?

-Vader