The MVP of the Cast

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Geoffrey wrote:To surmise the theories it'd be roughly "Tommy represents hope after the burning plane shows the Nazis enveloping Europe".
That's the exact opposite of what many people are saying lol
You could overanalyze the meaning of everything, including the ending even if the last shot didn't exist, and I'm sure you guys would think it's just as deep still.

Surface level, which is what matters without going all in on artsy theories, the last shot feels out of place and tacked on. The movie should've ended as it did in the script in my opinion.
Nah, I've been arguing w/ friends who thought the last shot would have been the plane. Agree that it would have been beautiful and Malick-y but I don't think I would have thought about it as much as the actual last one, which puzzled me at first. Also, I liked it precisely because it was jarring. That's my "surface-level" take, simple enough for you?

Nolan's one of the most meticulous directors in the world. Even going by his own words, putting the final shot as a final shot because "he liked it" is going to vastly understate the complicated reasons behind his gut feeling to put it there. Besides, audience perception is an equally valid reality and over time impart as much meaning to an artistic experience as the creator does. Nolan's movies have always produced a different range of responses and interpretations; isn't that what makes him exciting as a filmmaker?

Ruth wrote: lol What? Nobody is even saying the last shot has some super incredibly pretentious or magnificient meaning, and if anybody does - it ain't me. And I haven't seen anybody talk about theories you just surmised lol. I simply thought the last shot, accompanied by the overall ending sequence of the film duh, just carried a slightly more "depressed" feeling lol. There's literally a screenshot of Nolan himself talking about the shot, and while, yes, he liked Fionn's dailies and used it, he also flat out says the film ends with the character reading those words from the newspaper and him trying to process those words, after what had just happened. Nolan literally says he hopes the audience is doing the same thing, it was obviously meant for people to see Tommy understands what the speech, compared to his experiences, means for him and fellow soldiers.

If that is "magnificient, grandiose" meaning, then uh... okay? If I suddenly can't English well and misunderstood everything, from the film itself to Nolan's interview and everybody's posts, sorry then?
I wasn't singling you out, but there are several people who think specifically the last shot is simply genius, and the most bedazzling and mesmerizing last shot in any Nolan movie.

I wasn't singling you out, but there are several people who think specifically the last shot is simply genius, and the most bedazzling and mesmerizing last shot in any Nolan movie.
I haven't encountered these people—I don't consider it genius or bedazzling, just up there with his most interesting endings, and subversive enough for a war movie, but I'd be interested in why they think so. I don't really care if film viewers' opinions match up with me as long as they're willing to back it up with a thoughtful explanation. That's the pleasure of discussing film at all. Why else am I on a fan forum of a director who makes puzzle-box movies?

Forum Pro
Law
Ruth wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:I think you guys in general are overanalyzing the last shot. It has no magnificient, grandiose meaning. Nolan just saw the dailies and liked Fionn's performance and the contrast to the burning plane, so he added it on to the end. Even if it means exactly what everyone has theorized it means, it's not particularly good. To surmise the theories it'd be roughly "Tommy represents hope after the burning plane shows the Nazis enveloping Europe". You could overanalyze the meaning of everything, including the ending even if the last shot didn't exist, and I'm sure you guys would think it's just as deep still.

Surface level, which is what matters without going all in on artsy theories, the last shot feels out of place and tacked on. The movie should've ended as it did in the script in my opinion.
lol What? Nobody is even saying the last shot has some super incredibly pretentious or magnificient meaning, and if anybody does - it ain't me. And I haven't seen anybody talk about theories you just surmised lol. I simply thought the last shot, accompanied by the overall ending sequence of the film duh, just carried a slightly more "depressed" feeling lol. There's literally a screenshot of Nolan himself talking about the shot, and while, yes, he liked Fionn's dailies and used it, he also flat out says the film ends with the character reading those words from the newspaper and him trying to process those words, after what had just happened. Nolan literally says he hopes the audience is doing the same thing, it was obviously meant for people to see Tommy understands what the speech, compared to his experiences, means for him and fellow soldiers.

If that is "magnificient, grandiose" meaning, then uh... okay? If I suddenly can't English well and misunderstood everything, from the film itself to Nolan's interview and everybody's posts, sorry then?
marry me

Rylance-Branagh-Hardy, in no particular order.

What about the yung ones m4?

m4st4 wrote:Rylance-Branagh-Hardy, in no particular order.
Yes! Yes! Yes!