Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
"As a must-see-on-IMAX experience (referring to BR2049), it’s the equal of Dunkirk." - Dan Jolin, Empire Magazine
Nice to see Dunkirk getting a mention!

Deadline: ‘Darkest Hour’ Team On A Rounded Churchill And A Possible ‘Dunkirk’ Supercut – The Contenders London

Excerpt:
Interestingly, McCarten was happy to address the elephant in the room – Christopher Nolan’s war epic Dunkirk, which takes place in the same timeframe. “There may be some adventurous editors further down the track,” he teased, “who could splice the two films together. [Nolan] has got the action material and we’ve got the backroom material. Ours differs in that our movie really pivots on the fact that it’s about, Will Winston Churchill cave in and do a peace deal with Hitler? Chris’s is about war and an evacuation. So we’re different but complementary. My original screenplay had a Dunkirk scene at the end [but] we didn’t feel we needed to shoot that. You can go and see Chris Nolan’s version if you want to see any of that. It’s a wonderful companion piece.”

So I watched WWII in color on netflix (I have seen a version but this one goes into more detail) and it's really staggering how Nolan/Hoytema captured the way everything looked back then so well in this. To see the real images are crazy to see and goes to show how much more films should be made about WWII, certain battles in specific. Shooting it in the way Nolan/Hoytema did and in such large format cameras really puts you there. I think that works better than making it look like a documentary. Works for SPR I know but it does create a distance with the audience imo.

Nomis wrote:So I watched WWII in color on netflix (I have seen a version but this one goes into more detail) and it's really staggering how Nolan/Hoytema captured the way everything looked back then so well in this. To see the real images are crazy to see and goes to show how much more films should be made about WWII, certain battles in specific. Shooting it in the way Nolan/Hoytema did and in such large format cameras really puts you there. I think that works better than making it look like a documentary. Works for SPR I know but it does create a distance with the audience imo.
Another reason why Hoyte deserves the oscar.

Evening Standard: The best British films of 2017: from Dunkirk to God's Own Country
From blockbusters to indie gems, these are the best British films of 2017
https://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/fil ... 60126.html

Dunkirk
This moving and visually staggering film focuses on the Dunkirk evacuation of 1940 from three key perspectives: land, sea and air. Dunkirk features awe-inspiring cinematography, cleverly interwoven time frames, and one of the best ensemble casts of the year; even Harry Styles’s performance is surprisingly convincing. It’s without a doubt one of 2017’s must-watch films, and another feather in the cap of director Christopher Nolan.

Sanchez wrote:
Nomis wrote:So I watched WWII in color on netflix (I have seen a version but this one goes into more detail) and it's really staggering how Nolan/Hoytema captured the way everything looked back then so well in this. To see the real images are crazy to see and goes to show how much more films should be made about WWII, certain battles in specific. Shooting it in the way Nolan/Hoytema did and in such large format cameras really puts you there. I think that works better than making it look like a documentary. Works for SPR I know but it does create a distance with the audience imo.
He deserves it alright... but Deakins deserves it more. Now or never. :shrug:

m4st4 wrote:
Sanchez wrote:
He deserves it alright... but Deakins deserves it more. Now or never. :shrug:
in my opinion, Hoyte's cinematography in this film is "better" than Deakin's work on 2049

however, Deakins has been overdue for a long time, and i would not be at all upset if he won assuming they both at least get nominations

I'm torn. Which is an easier win? A Sci-Fi / Noir film shot in meticulously controlled sets and sound stages or a WWII film shot mostly on location with uncontrollable weather, lots of obstacles, IMAX cameras on planes and in planes and on ships, etc...

Thank goodness I'm not a voter.

^ this

Hoytema/Nolan stuck an insanely expensive IMAX camera on the side of a plane, just to crash it and recover the footage ffs - even if BR2049 does look better (which it doesn't imo), Hoytema deserves to win based on the technicalities of filming Dunkirk alone, regardless of the aesthetics

What Hoyte did with Dunkirk is 100% a greater accomplishment than what Deakins did with 2049. He should win, even if Deakins has a more impressive history.