Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I'm a John G wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:So I was right about Dunkirk being a working title.

It never felt quite right with that title. Exited to see what he comes up with.
not to say youre wrong, but i wouldn't take that announcement as confirmation it's merely a working title
I'm not. Even before the announcement I was sure that Dunkirk was nothing more than a working title.

Interstellar has also been a working title and Kip Thorne even said in an interview he was sure it would change. It didn't.

Interstellar was touted as his 2001 but really outside of structure and some formal stuff it was more Close Encounters and The Tree of Life, particularly the latter. And he's been pushing his Malick influence more and more with his last few films. So now with a war film I think we'll see that style reach it's apotheosis bc of Nolan's love for The Thin Red Line. I know this was brought up by someone but it's worth discussing further.

Yes, definitely. There are a lot of Malick influences in Interstellar, and also, I think Hoytema's style is similair to Malick's shot treatment in some way. I think The Thin Red Line will be a big inspiration for Dunkirk.

Sky007 wrote:Interstellar was touted as his 2001 but really outside of structure and some formal stuff it was more Close Encounters and The Tree of Life, particularly the latter. And he's been pushing his Malick influence more and more with his last few films. So now with a war film I think we'll see that style reach it's apotheosis bc of Nolan's love for The Thin Red Line. I know this was brought up by someone but it's worth discussing further.
The biggest point of influence on Stellar that often goes unmentioned is Nicolas Roeg.

-Vader

hey man, if it turns out to be Malick with a little "oomph", I'm all in

Cilogy wrote:hey man, if it turns out to be Malick with a little "oomph", I'm all in
*pretty shots of the beaches with soldiers fighting (in imax of course)*

*explosion*

*exposition about how guns work*

ChristNolan wrote:*exposition about how guns work*
:lol:

ChristNolan wrote:
Cilogy wrote:hey man, if it turns out to be Malick with a little "oomph", I'm all in
*pretty shots of the beaches with soldiers fighting (in imax of course)*

*explosion*

:lol:

ChristNolan wrote: *pretty shots of the beaches with soldiers fighting (in imax of course)*

*explosion*

*Main Character reveals how he needs to get back to his kids*
Fixed.