Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
^ Sorry, Terrell Owens for the NFL Hall of Fame.

Dunkirk is about to fall off the IMDB top 250 list.

It dropped to an 8.1... It's at 184 right now.

Willem wrote:It dropped to an 8.1... It's at 184 right now.
Sadly it probably will fall off... but it's hardly the end of the world.
Lots of good films not on the IMDb top 250.
Lots of mediocre stuff is on it.

Sadly "Dunkirk" isn't the kind of movie everyone will love. Just how it is.

Oku
Saving Private Ryan is #29 and Hacksaw Ridge is #174.

That should tell you that all you need to know about the IMDb Top 250's lack of credibility when it comes to war movies.

Nerdist: Christopher Nolan Goes TOP GUN in “Highway to the DUNKIRK Zone”
https://nerdist.com/highway-to-the-dunk ... n-mash-up/

Excerpt:
Has any other movie theme ever managed to transcend its own film to become a theme song for an entire genre the way “Highway to the Danger Zone” has? What started out as a theme for the ’80s classic Top Gun has since become the only tune that’ll run through your head whenever you even think of jets taking to the sky to do battle. As such, we get the above long-awaited mash-up, created by our very own Matt Caron.

okungnyo wrote:Saving Private Ryan is #29 and Hacksaw Ridge is #174.

That should tell you that all you need to know about the IMDb Top 250's lack of credibility when it comes to war movies.
i don’t know what this means

Oku
I mean that both of them are higher on the list than they should be, especially relative to Dunkirk being only #184.

If it were war films as a whole, then that'd be understandable, but it's not; it's only a particular brand/formula of war films that are getting higher inflated positions than they really should.

Dunkirk is an original, but first and foremost experimental war film. It doesn’t surprise me at all that some people like it less than Saving Private Ryan or Hacksaw Ridge for that matter. Dunkirk is less... ‘accessible’ for a lot of viewers. That’s why, in my eyes, these films aren’t even really comparible.

Are we really going to do this "It's not accessible for GA" or "IMDb users don't get it" thing, while Memento is there at #50 with 1 million votes?

Around 8 means great on IMDb and shows that people in there absolutely loved it.£