Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Those black bars in the DCP format... UGH UGH UGH. :facepalm:

But again, great job Antovolk. Awesome that WB contacted you.

Innovator wrote:Those black bars in the DCP format... UGH UGH UGH. :facepalm:
yeah, onus is on the theatres now to mask/format this properly to use the fullest possible screen real estate

antovolk wrote:
Innovator wrote:Those black bars in the DCP format... UGH UGH UGH. :facepalm:
yeah, onus is on the theatres now to mask/format this properly to use the fullest possible screen real estate
I'm planning on watching War for the Planet of the Apes either tomorrow or Friday, so I might bring this up to the local manager/supervisor.

Oku
Vader182 wrote:
okungnyo wrote: So the trend appears to be that every critic who has seen both Dunkirk and Valerian, is giving Dunkirk a positive review and Valerian a negative one?

Could it be that Dunkirk's practical effects are making Valerian's CGI look bad by comparison, and is making reviewers judge Valerian more harsly than they otherwise would have if Valerian had come out in, say, January?
This isn't how anything works and please stop ceaselessly bumping the thread when there's not actual updates lol.

EDIT: and please don't repost massive photos...

-Vader
Well, I do think context matters.

The very same movie that you would give 7/10 (Fresh) had you watched it in January (a dump month, so you have no expectations for it to be any good), you may give a 5/10 (Rotten) if it came out in December instead with heavy Oscar promotion and your standards have temporarily risen because the last ten movies you watched were a streak of Oscar-worthy masterpieces.

okungnyo wrote: Well, I do think context matters.

The very same movie that you would give 7/10 (Fresh) had you watched it in January (a dump month, so you have no expectations for it to be any good), you may give a 5/10 (Rotten) if it came out in December instead with heavy Oscar promotion and your standards have temporarily risen because the last ten movies you watched were a streak of Oscar-worthy masterpieces.
Context matters but not nearly as extremely as you're making it sound. Folks on the critic beat often see things days or weeks apart mixed in with a bunch of other movies. Plus, now many of them review TV. It's a large combination of factors, there's not nearly the correlative power you're making it seem like.

Source: I'm a critic and know a lot of these guys.

-Vader

Oku
Ohh, all right.

Thanks.

And here's a higher resolution version of the Nolan picture from the NY Times article:

Looks perfect for the new headline pic for the site!

Nomis wrote:Looks perfect for the new headline pic for the site!
Yes !