Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Bacon wrote:
willaartwillem wrote:
genloovers wrote:44 days till the new trailer! :gonf:
A little bit less, if it comes with GOTG2.

Where are those TV spots btw? :D
Yeah that dude blew it. He said we'd see something this weekend.
I said March specifically. Have patience.

Sources or don't talk thanks

Sanchez wrote:Image

Sources or don't talk thanks
You do know it's still 'next week', right?

WB is looking at March Madness to drop spots. That's what I know and I can't say much more. :X

Also, March Madness is from now until April 3rd. WB could have very well picked the end of it to air them.

8-)

genloovers wrote:
You do know it's still 'next week', right?

WB is looking at March Madness to drop spots. That's what I know and I can't say much more. :X

Also, March Madness is from now until April 3rd. WB could have very well picked the end of it to air them.

8-)
After March Madness ends he's going to say that his source actually is that it'll drop in April.

Oku
So being that Mr. Nolan said that the characters in Dunkirk will not have backstories or have a lot of dialogue, do you guys/gals think that reviewers will ding the movie for that?

Or will it get a pass because it's a war film?

One of Rogue One's biggest criticisms was the weak character development, but a lot of reviewers gave it a pass because they said it was like a war film and so it was more about the experience than the characters.

okungnyo wrote:So being that Mr. Nolan said that the characters in Dunkirk will not have backstories or have a lot of dialogue, do you guys/gals think that reviewers will ding the movie for that?

I wouldn't be surprised with either.

okungnyo wrote:So being that Mr. Nolan said that the characters in Dunkirk will not have backstories or have a lot of dialogue, do you guys/gals think that reviewers will ding the movie for that?

One of Rogue One's biggest criticisms was the weak character development, but a lot of reviewers gave it a pass because they said it was like a war film and so it was more about the experience than the characters.
I think the critics won't really focus on that, because it isn't really important to the story. It's more about the fear of war and how it affects young men. And it also doesn't really make sense because the movie begins straight with the action - it's not about where the soldiers come from, it's about what they experience. It won't be relevant to talk about the background of the story, but there will be enough character development.

Big spoiler:
That being said, we do know that they did a photoshoot at a church in Urk as a school photo for George's class, and that they filmed inside a school (I think). So we may get some flashbacks from George, but that makes sense because George most definitely dies (he doesn't come back with the Moonstone, and the other soldiers are carrying a stretcher with a covered body).

okungnyo wrote:One of Rogue One's biggest criticisms was the weak character development, but a lot of reviewers gave it a pass because they said it was like a war film and so it was more about the experience than the characters.
Yeah but Rogue One's lack of character development - or any characters at all - has nothing to do with them having a backstory or not. The Joker in The Dark Knight has no backstory whatsoever and he is one of the greatest movie characters in recent blockbuster cinema. And I don't think it has to do with how much dialogue a character has either.

You can entirely build up and fully develop a character throughout the course of a feature length movie without the character having any backstory or any dialogue. It all depends on your directing and writing skills. I know I'm biased because I didn't like Rogue One at all, but all for the same reasons: no interesting characters that I could've related to, the same forced, franchise-y feeling that you get from most (if not all) Marvel-films, uninteresting visuals, uninteresting situations and writing (not the same as the plot itself, which was interesting, but how the plot is actually written and directed is a different aspect of filmmaking).

If Nolan and his team gets the tone, the visuals, the plot, the writing and the direction of the film right (which includes the writing and direction of the characters), then it won't matter whether they have backstories or dialogue. And actually, there is a very good reason why Nolan's soldiers will not have backstories (just like the Joker had a very good reason not to have a backstory in TDK), so it's not like it will be "accidental". It's not like they forgot to think the characters through - it's the complete opposite.

I just discovered that the website has been updated. You can now see a time-lapse of the live stream.

AhmadAli95 wrote:I just discovered that the website has been updated. You can now see a time-lapse of the live stream.
I noticed that there last week. No idea how long it's been there.