Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Damn. You need to go out some more.

okungnyo wrote:On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that Dunkirk will set a new benchmark to which all action/thriller/war movies will be compared?
Could be. It needs to reach a 'phenomenon' status to achieve that though.

okungnyo wrote:
willaartwillem wrote:
okungnyo wrote:This is official marketing??
Yes of course!
No.
Thanks, I don't get irony.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that Dunkirk will set a new benchmark to which all action/thriller/war movies will be compared?

It's like living your whole life only eating vegetables, so you think that a 10/10 food is a carrot. Then, when you are introduced to a juicy steak, you discover that your standards have been all wrong and that carrots are really a 5/10.

I really think that's what's going to happen when Dunkirk comes out.

In the video review posted a few pages back, the guy makes great points like "You feel the weight of each step", "Little things like crossing a tiny gap makes you incredibly tense", and "People say 'immersive' or 'puts you right in the action' to describe Saving Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge, but the Dunkirk prologue is immersive on a whole other level."

Hacksaw Ridge is lucky it came out in 2016 and not 2017. IMO, it would have gotten zero Oscar nominations if people had Dunkirk to compare it to.

And the minimalist, yet impressive effects. The practical effects in the Dunkirk trailer look so good that it ruined other movies for me.

For example, there's a dogfight in the Wonder Woman trailers with Mr. Pine's character, but it looks so obviously CGI, badly framed, and cartoonish in comparison to the one in Dunkirk.
Please don't embarrass yourself and everyone when this gets less than 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Dunkirk's Twitter just tweeted this.

#Dunkirk
Last edited by Willem on March 14th, 2017, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willaartwillem wrote:Dunkirk's Twitter just tweeted this.

#Dunkirk
It's also on their official Instagram page! Hoping it will lead to something relevant.

Let me just nitpick for a second, which is rare for me - I am not the biggest fan of that shot... :lol: It feels too empty and clean to me. That is actually something that I've been thinking about, I hope the movie itself feels more "dirty" and lived in, if that makes sense. More chaotic.

The prologue is a promising sign, though!

Innovator wrote:Let me just nitpick for a second, which is rare for me - I am not the biggest fan of that shot... :lol: It feels too empty and clean to me. That is actually something that I've been thinking about, I hope the movie itself feels more "dirty" and lived in, if that makes sense. More chaotic.

They're probably going to post a few shots like this in a series to build hype.

I don't think this could lead to a trailer at this time. Maybe (just maybe) a TV spot?

It could also be just a tease though.

Bacon wrote:
Innovator wrote:Let me just nitpick for a second, which is rare for me - I am not the biggest fan of that shot... :lol: It feels too empty and clean to me. That is actually something that I've been thinking about, I hope the movie itself feels more "dirty" and lived in, if that makes sense. More chaotic.

They're probably going to post a few shots like this in a series to build hype.
Yeah, I think that is what's going to happen.