Symbolism in Interstellar

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Hello fellow Nolanites

I was browsing /r/Interstellar and there is this post

What are some examples of symbolism in the film?

I really liked the Chinese symbolism, the German origins of Amelia, and the wordplay of Dr Mann

I posted there but didn't get much reaction. I feel like this forum would be able to tell us the beauty of the film a lot better.

What are some of the symolisms in Interstellar?

"A redditor pointed out that the space station is really similar to a clock face when viewed in some scenes"

"It's funny becayse in an interview of Chris Nolan, the interviewer asked him about this and he laughed, saying "don't read too much into it". I guess we see what we want to see"

That is interesting. Feel free to submit any interpretations you had :thumbup:

bump

There's a black hole in the movie and in real life Nolan's career is slowly falling down the drain similar to being sucked into a black hole.

Genius symbolism!

Dr_Hugh_Mann wrote:"A redditor pointed out that the space station is really similar to a clock face when viewed in some scenes"

"It's funny becayse in an interview of Chris Nolan, the interviewer asked him about this and he laughed, saying "don't read too much into it". I guess we see what we want to see"

That is interesting. Feel free to submit any interpretations you had :thumbup:
This is false, I've heard interviews where Christopher Nolan was talking specifically how time is a big theme of the movie, and how the second hand sound is used in a few musical themes and the space station looked like a clock for a reason.

I agree with Nolan, about the Endurance, that people are reading too much into it

it's really hard to believe that Nolan unintentionally designed the Endurance to look like a clock though.

The drone is like Cooper: Originally designed (or trained) to fly with a specific purpose, then moving around aimlessly for years, then grounded and the "heart" is removed and repurposed for farming. Also, Cooper drives diagonally through the corn fields to intercept it: He is not limited by pre-defined pathways and constraints.

The name "Cooper" could be a reference to actor Gary Cooper, the "ideal American hero".
But I prefer the reference to astronaut Gordon Cooper.
Born in Oklahoma, lived through the Dust Bowl.
Set a record for the longest time in space.
Last American astronaut to be launched solo.

"Coop" is a cage for birds, or a prison. Cooper is "cooped up", as is all of humanity.

And this one's a bit of a stretch:
A cooper is a barrel maker. A barrel is a cylinder with a bulge in the middle. Perhaps an oblique reference to elliptical (non-Euclidean) geometry.

FWIW, Miller's planet could be named for a miller: someone who uses a circular millstone to grind cereal, like wheat and corn. Mills were often powered by water or wind, and they were among the first ways that people harnessed energy. There's some connection there somewhere ...

Edmunds planet could be a reference to Edmund Hillary and Edmond Halley.

"Interstellar" has an 'n', an 'a', and an 'i', and so does "Nazi", so it could be a Nazi propaganda film.

Bale Fan wrote:it's really hard to believe that Nolan unintentionally designed the Endurance to look like a clock though.
This reddit thread has a quote from the Interstellar article in Empire magazine where Nolan and Crowley said it was just because they needed three groups of pods, and they happened to choose that each group would contain four pods (the fact that they were arranged in a circle is presumably because they wanted to have a scientifically plausible type of artificial gravity):
With its circular structure and 12 capsules, we're convinced Nolan and Crowley have deliberately gone for a clock theme - especially given the role time and relativity play in the plot. Neither of them are having it. "We try not to overanalyse," insists Nolan. The design, says Crowley, is driven by the practical needs of the story. "Four of the pods are designed to detach if you find a habitable planet. They carry colonisation kit. Then there are four permanent pods which include the cockpit, medical labs and the habitats of the Endurance. And the final four are the engines. We just knew we needed three groups of pods, so it was really about, 'Is it nine? Is it 12? Is it 15?