Dr. Mann

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Romily was brave enough not to worry and lose his shit for 23 years.

Havoc1st wrote:Romily was brave enough not to worry and lose his shit for 23 years.
I loved that, because it represents the variability in human survival instinct so well. Some folks can crack under pressure and do foolish and self-serving things to survive despite the consequences (in service of some vision), and some folks are just so willing and able to sacrifice so much in service of a similar cause.

caulfield wrote:
Ericmase wrote:This is very interesting reading from a user on YouTube (AmbroseCadwell) about the "I've waited years."-scene and how Romilly reacts unlike Dr. Mann:
I think this scene is probably Romilly's biggest character moment, and another of Nolan's genius touches. He only took a couple of stretches in cryo-sleep during his 23 years in isolation, and has aged visibly, and is clearly damaged from his time alone. Mann, on the other hand, has only had about 10 years alone, most of which he has spent asleep having already set up his deceit. Two men, in similar situations, made very different choices as to how to act. Nolan is trying to tell us we're not all fated to acting like Dr. Mann just because we're human.
But you cannot really compare the two characters. It's just not fair with Dr. Mann. He was meant to die there. The planet was inhabitable for humans so he wasn't supposed to send any signal back. While Romilly was waiting because the ranger was meant to return. He didn't have to prepare for death, there was always a tiny chance that they will return. In Mann's case... he should have abandoned himself for the cause. Shortly Dr. Mann had to be brave, Romilly had to be patient. There's a big difference, both situation is enormously challenging but they're not the same.
Totally agree! Romilly and Mann was totally in different situations.