Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Oh is that still in the running for the next Oscars?

Aili wrote:Speaking as an Astrophysicist,

3. Coop would have been 'spaghettified' by tidal gravitational forces long before he ever touched the Event Horizon, much less the Singularity, unless he could shield gravity. Neither he, nor his ship could have survived. If he did touch the Singularity, he would be in a place where space and time does not exist and all Universal events happen instantaneously, in less than one Planck Spacetime. No one ever really dies, because the entire Spacetime Continuum happens in an instant smaller than a single Planck Time, and the entire Universe is contracted to the size of an infinitesimal point particle, from the perspective of any photon of light. That is, from the perspective of light, or a Singularity, the entire Spacetime Continuum is infinitesimally microscopic and happens all at once.

4. The trick to making a wormhole traversible is by propping it open with antigravity by using either 'negative mass', 'dark energy', or 'negative pressure' (a.k.a. 'tension', as generated by the Casimir Effect, for example). This must be used in conjunction with a rotating Kerr black hole which has a ring-shaped singularity instead of a point singularity, as with a Swarzchild Black Hole. It may then be possible to shield the tidal gravity using possible, but currently unavailable, exotic means to traverse the wormhole safely by traversing the two Event Horizons of the Kerr Hole and passing through the ring Singularity without touching the ring.

5. If you could traverse a wormhole safely and return through it to the same spatial coordinates from whence you came, you would arrive before you left, not many many years after, as depicted in the film. The reason is, you reached the destination before a hypothetical beam of light could have from your spatial origin. This is just the temporal analogue to the microscopic phenomenon of a particle accessing a spatial coordinate that is classically inaccessible to it through the Quantum Mechanical phenomenon of Tunneling, which we exploit every day on a micro-level to let particles access spatial coordinates that are classically inaccessible to them, as with the Tunneling Electron Diode. Faster than light = backwards in time, slower than light = forwards in time, light speed = zero time.

The work of Dr. Ronald Mallett attempts to use frame-dragging using circulating laser beams in a laboratory to send signals into the past, but it wont work because his math is incorrect. In his work he assumes the laser beams are infinitesimally thin, and nothing is infinitesimal in nature but a Singularity.

6. The Singularity is not a higher-dimensional space, it is a lower-dimensional one. I smile when I see these grand cinematic depictions of wormhole travel, because wormhole travel is not necessarily extradimensional, it's zero-dimensional, i.e. a zero-length shortcut as opposed to an entirely different kind of route where standard Special Relativity applies. If one were to hypothetically accelerate to light speed (impossible, due to an Infinite energy requirement), then at the speed of light, the Time Dilation (empirically proven by my former colleague, Dr. Joe Hafele) would make you no longer experience the dimension of time at all, and the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Length Contraction would shrink you to infinitesimal spatial projection in the direction you are travelling. So you would cease to exist, or 'wink out' of 4D (xyzt) Spacetime, if you will, yet exist nonetheless with infinite mass-energy relative to rest. (Sounds like God/Eternity, yes?)

7. Like Dr. Mallett's work, the T'Hooft/Veltmann Grand Unified Theory is incorrect, as is the Standard Model and String Theory, due to a very, very few yet immensely important fundamentally incorrect assumptions. Higher dimensionality is not the answer to solving unification, and there is no Higgs Boson to find. You needn't get information out of a Black Hole in order to understand how QM and GR are connected, you need to hybridize Einsten's Field Equations with the Schröedinger Equation. This has been the subject of my private research for over fifteen years now. The answer unifies Gravity and Electromagnetism, explains how all the fundamental forces were/are originally One at The Singularity, and how the constants G, Mu-Zero, and Epsilon-Zero are all mathematically interrelated. Spacetime does have fundamental frequencies and overtones that can be used to bend, or break it (i.e., create an Einstein-Rosen Bridge) just like an opera singer can break a wine glass with the right note. There is a common misconception that massive energy would be required, but instead, energy at the right frequency is required, and resonance is the key. This is not widely known. I may be publishing soon.
3. We've already addressed this several times. Gargantua is large enough to prevent spaghettification at the distances Cooper & Co. were at.

4. Thorne's wormhole metric does not require a black hole to work.

5. Cooper didn't return via the wormhole. No one did.

6. Cooper never reached the singularity. No one did. We never saw it.

7. The questions of "how do we unify GR & QM" and "are there higher dimensions" are two of the greatest unsolved questions in physics right now. There are literally dozens of theories for both. I'm skeptical of the claim that he knows which ones are correct, given that the ones he thinks are right are his own.

The first thing my mom said after we left the theater was the dog wouldn't have liked it.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:The first thing my mom said after we left the theater was the dog wouldn't have liked it.

-Vader
Well your dog has poor tastes in movies.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not. First post!

Undoubtedly, one of my favorite parts of the film is the beginning, say the first 45 minutes. All of the corn field scenes, the dust storm, and especially the "take off." The transition from driving away from the house to launching into space was, for me, one of the best moments in the film.

In the beginning, while Cooper is dreaming of the crash, Nolan does a little magic. When I first saw the film, that dream scene was what sucked me in. It was so loud and angry. Nolan has stated that the character of Cooper was inspired/influenced by Chuck Yeager, the pilot who broke the sound barrier. The magic here comes in the form of appropriation. There is a quick shot of Cooper in the cockpit, in his dream, that is almost identical to footage taken of Chuck Yeager. Nolan used this footage as part of the stock material he incorporated into the teaser trailer. Nolan recreates this exact shot, which is a great way to link the character to his influence.

onefourthfran wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned or not. First post!

Undoubtedly, one of my favorite parts of the film is the beginning, say the first 45 minutes. All of the corn field scenes, the dust storm, and especially the "take off." The transition from driving away from the house to launching into space was, for me, one of the best moments in the film.

In the beginning, while Cooper is dreaming of the crash, Nolan does a little magic. When I first saw the film, that dream scene was what sucked me in. It was so loud and angry. Nolan has stated that the character of Cooper was inspired/influenced by Chuck Yeager, the pilot who broke the sound barrier. The magic here comes in the form of appropriation. There is a quick shot of Cooper in the cockpit, in his dream, that is almost identical to footage taken of Chuck Yeager. Nolan used this footage as part of the stock material he incorporated into the teaser trailer. Nolan recreates this exact shot, which is a great way to link the character to his influence.
I definitely noticed that. He got the shot so exact I questioned to myself if that was cooper in the teaser.

I've always thought this whole discussion about whether the wormhole is still open or not is weird. In fact I always thought the film actually implies it's still open because

1. why else would Cooper station be by Saturn?
2. why else would Murph refer to Brand as being on "our new home"?
3. why else would Nolan end the film with the idea that Cooper can reach Edmunds' planet if not through the wormhole?

these are rhetorical questions, don't answer them, I already know I'm right

Cilogy wrote:I've always thought this whole discussion about whether the wormhole is still open or not is weird. In fact I always thought the film actually implies it's still open because

3. why else would Nolan end the film with the idea that Cooper can reach Edmunds' planet if not through the wormhole?

BUT Murph also said that " Brand is alone in a strange galaxy".

This makes it clear that survived humans have not made contact with Brand or gone to Edmund planet. Also Murph's comments make it absolutely clear that Space station has no intention to reach Edmund planet otherwise sending Cooper alone doesn't make any sense. What will he do reaching few weeks/months before whole space station arrives?

Am I right or wrong in interpreting what Murph said?

riddick-danish wrote:
Cilogy wrote:I've always thought this whole discussion about whether the wormhole is still open or not is weird. In fact I always thought the film actually implies it's still open because

This makes it clear that survived humans have not made contact with Brand or gone to Edmund planet. Also Murph's comments make it absolutely clear that Space station has no intention to reach Edmund planet otherwise sending Cooper alone doesn't make any sense.What will he do reaching few weeks/months before whole space station arrives?

They don't send him, at least, I don't think they do. I always assumed the ending was the same as the original script, where Coop had to steal the ship.
On the assumption that you are the same riddick-danish who was on the IMDB boards, didn't you read the script too? <----totally not a Mr Plinkett reference.

GeneMod wrote:
riddick-danish wrote:

This makes it clear that survived humans have not made contact with Brand or gone to Edmund planet. Also Murph's comments make it absolutely clear that Space station has no intention to reach Edmund planet otherwise sending Cooper alone doesn't make any sense.What will he do reaching few weeks/months before whole space station arrives?

They don't send him, at least, I don't think they do. I always assumed the ending was the same as the original script, where Coop had to steal the ship.
On the assumption that you are the same riddick-danish who was on the IMDB boards, didn't you read the script too? <----totally not a Mr Plinkett reference.
Yeah I am same guy. :D

No, I am referring to Murph asking Cooper to go to Edmund planet, why would she send Cooper alone to Edmund planet if the whole station is planning to reach there (as Cilogy is suggesting)?