Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Will the DGA Nolan talk moderated by Edgar Wright be online ever?

hotsauce32 wrote:After several viewings, I still I can't tell what Murph's first line is, in her and Cooper's goodbye scene. Right after Coop says "We have to fix this before I go". All I can hear from Murph is "How ___ ____ ____ _____ have to stay"

Anyone know what the full line is?
From the novelization (cause I couldn't understand that line either): "Then I'll keep it broken so you have to stay".

The novelization is really good by the way, it answers a lot of questions.

sickofsickness wrote:
GeneMod wrote:Ok, so, I've seen the film twice now, and I think I have an interpretation that hasn't been pointed out yet (I could also just be a complete fucking idiot when it comes to using the internet, idk). It is my opinion that Interstellar is about the power of unity (not the game development program, the idea). I have several examples to further this point:
Brand's character: Here we have a Scientist who is following her emotions. These two things do not usually abide side by side, yet here they are. Science and emotion, the rational and the irrational. It is the unification of these two conflicting ideals that leads Brand to Edmund's world, which turns out to be habitable.
The Unification of Religion and Science: There is a consistent "motif," if you will, of religious symbolism throughout Interstellar. Take for example, the Church Organ based score, the mention of Lazarus, the 12 Apostles story retold and even some of the imagery
When Coop is floating in the bulk and he sees the Endurance and reaches out to touch Brand's hand. In my opinion, this scene mirrors the famous painting by Michelangelo regarding the creation of Man (with the two finger tips touching)
. We have all this set against a hard-science story.
The Unification of Quantum Physics and General Relativity: This is the equation they have to solve for Plan A to work. And hey, guess what? They do. Now we
can control gravity! Yay!
The final example I'm going to give is Dr. Brand Sr's speech about standing together and thinking as a species, not individuals. This is probably the most blatant example of this theme, and doesn't really require too much explaining.
I've probably missed a few, so do feel free to point stuff out.
Thanks for reading,
GeneMod
I like this. In fact after the credits there's a scene where the cast sings "Imagine", Magnolia-style where the singing is a soliloquy, each character in their own space. Brand on her planet, Cooper in the ranger, Murph on her bed. Talking about living as one. Even TARS and CASE comes out and joins in. That was my favorite part.
Legit?
Damn, I missed that.

can someone explain how
MM character got recruited so quickly. it seems unnatural that he stepped into NASA and all a sudden he was their best pilot

hasanahmad wrote:can someone explain how
MM character got recruited so quickly. it seems unnatural that he stepped into NASA and all a sudden he was their best pilot
He wasn't the best pilot, he was their only pilot. It's an obvious plot contrivance.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
hasanahmad wrote:can someone explain how
He wasn't the best pilot, he was their only pilot. It's an obvious plot contrivance.

-Vader
No, he was their best pilor. He had already been their best pilot before NASA went underground and lost touch with him, and that's why they hired him. They would have gone with either of the other astronauts as pilots if Cooper hadn't shown up, as per the line that tells us they'd all been piloting on simulators.

is this the first time since 2002 we've heard "shit" and "fucking" in a Nolan film?

Cilogy wrote:is this the first time since 2002 we've heard "shit" and "fucking" in a Nolan film?
If I'm not wrong there was one "shit" in TDK.

Bale Fan wrote:
Cilogy wrote:is this the first time since 2002 we've heard "shit" and "fucking" in a Nolan film?
If I'm not wrong there was one "shit" in TDK.
I dunno, I've seen TDK at least 15 times, I don't remember "shit" being said at all.

ScreenIt (a parental review site) doesn't list any

http://www.screenit.com/movies/2008/the ... ght.html#p
At least 5 hells, 2 asses, 2 damns, 1 S.O.B., 2 uses of "Jesus" and 1 use each of "G-damn," "God," "God-awful," "Oh Jesus," "Oh my God," "Sweet Jesus" and "Swear to God."
Then again, IMDB says there's two "shits"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/parentalguide

Now I want to re-watch it just to find out

Gordon says shit in TDK when the black commissioner dies.