Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
thegreypilgrim wrote:
DoubleD wrote:Curious question for those who saw it last night. How was the crowd, and were they into it?
Great crowd. When the theater manager came out to introduce the film, everyone applauded him and a couple of people told him to "take it off." They laughed when appropriate, gasped when appropriate. And clapped when the credits rolled.
Sounds like a dream theatre experience pilgrim, good for you! It's always great to have an audience like that.

in regards to the performances, i have to agree that McC really kills it... which was surprising. i was expecting something more along the lines of Leo in Inception, where its a perfectly effective acting job but one that didn't require much. i was wrong. McC kills it, and adds so much nuance to his character that i feel like it's probably the best lead performance in a Nolan film since Guy Pearce in Memento. maybe not as transcendental as Ledger's Joker, but the emotional range McC finds and the nuances he discovers in Coop make it an extraordinary performance. i won't bother to rank the characters in this film as it's really unfair, though it's safe to say that McC, Irwin, and Damon completely stole the show. i'd say it's the best or second best lead performance of all of Nolan's movies, again, with Pearce as the benchmark.

thegreypilgrim wrote:
DoubleD wrote:Curious question for those who saw it last night. How was the crowd, and were they into it?
Great crowd. When the theater manager came out to introduce the film, everyone applauded him and a couple of people told him to "take it off." They laughed when appropriate, gasped when appropriate. And clapped when the credits rolled.
That's cool. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a John G wrote:in regards to the performances, i have to agree that McC really kills it... which was surprising. i was expecting something more along the lines of Leo in Inception, where its a perfectly effective acting job but one that didn't require much. i was wrong. McC kills it, and adds so much nuance to his character that i feel like it's probably the best lead performance in a Nolan film since Guy Pearce in Memento. maybe not as transcendental as Ledger's Joker, but the emotional range McC finds and the nuances he discovers in Coop make it an extraordinary performance. i won't bother to rank the characters in this film as it's really unfair, though it's safe to say that McC, Irwin, and Damon completely stole the show. i'd say it's the best or second best lead performance of all of Nolan's movies, again, with Pearce as the benchmark.
Woah-woah-woah. :o

m4st4 wrote:
I'm a John G wrote:in regards to the performances, i have to agree that McC really kills it... which was surprising. i was expecting something more along the lines of Leo in Inception, where its a perfectly effective acting job but one that didn't require much. i was wrong. McC kills it, and adds so much nuance to his character that i feel like it's probably the best lead performance in a Nolan film since Guy Pearce in Memento. maybe not as transcendental as Ledger's Joker, but the emotional range McC finds and the nuances he discovers in Coop make it an extraordinary performance. i won't bother to rank the characters in this film as it's really unfair, though it's safe to say that McC, Irwin, and Damon completely stole the show. i'd say it's the best or second best lead performance of all of Nolan's movies, again, with Pearce as the benchmark.
Here's a better one:

m4st4 wrote:
i'm not sure how much of that is a testament to McC, or how much of it is more about Nolan's movies... his main characters don't always have the most to chew on, or he simply doesn't mind if they don't. Pearce in Memento, fantastic. criminally underrated of all time. Pacino, solid. Bale in BB, great but nothing special. Bale/Jackson in Prestige, great but nothing special (and i think that's arguably Nolan's best movie), Bale in TDK, fine. Leo in Inception, solid. Bale in TDKR, great but nothing special. McC in Interstellar, back on the level of Pearece. there's so much riding through this characters head throughout the film. the emotional highs and the emotional lows. certain of the body language. his physical struggles against the forces of nature and physics alone deserve award recognition. i've never bought into immeasurable physical struggle (not necessarily pain) like i did in Interstellar. a part of that is Nolan's presentation of it, but a big part is still the performance.

it's not the kind of nuance and character creation of the Joker. Joker is not human. Cooper is. but i genuinely believe that the performances are on par. Cooper is a fucking space explorer, and it's the first time in a film that i've actually bought that.

I just came here to say, TARS was my bro and the second best thing about this movie.
Also Matt Damon is a dick.
:ninja:

The movie was great and I could not get enough, even for a near 3 hour screening. Somethings kinda went over my head though...
When McC drops into the 5th dimension, why did he give himself in the past coordinates to NASA, when he wanted his past self to stay?

Did the earth not get saved and everyone on the planet got out of dodge? Hence the space colony.

What did the actual formula Brand/Murph actually do for humanity? Especially when McC got the data from being directly in the black hole

Just registered to this site! I saw Interstellar in IMAX 70mm last night and here are my thoughts.

It was definitely Nolan's most ambitious and brave movie yet. Even if there are a lot of "Nolan" attributes to the movie, it didn't really feel like a Nolan film, which isn't a bad thing. The acting is probably my favourite part of the movie, surprisingly. Matthew McConaughey and Mackenzie Foy were absolutely magnificent and worthy of Oscar nominations. Caine, Chastain, Hathaway, Gyasi, and a certain other actor/actress were also spectacular. The soundtrack is by far the most unique I've ever heard from Zimmer, and was perfect for this movie. It sent chills down my spine during the very tense-filled scenes. The visuals, of course, are nothing short of masterful. The CGI was seamless. Some of the scenes looked as if it was footage taken from NASA earth orbit videos, that's just how incredible and realistic it looked.

Now the film definitely has issues. Some of the pacing and editing of this movie wasn't perfect. The first hour is somewhat slow, but greatly helps establish the characters and the family, so I really enjoyed that. There's a part of the movie that takes an odd turn which kind of ruined the pacing of the movie, but it picked up in the last 40 minutes or so. Sometimes the movie feels too convenient as the story progresses. Now a lot of people complain about the whole "Love" thing with Hathaway's character. I was fine with it. They didn't shove it down our throats. Now the last 30 minutes of the movie is where viewers will be divided. In my opinion, I thought it was a very unique "move" by Nolan and I don't think he was trying to reach too far. It was executed very well. I certainly don't understand all of it, which is why I'll be rewatching it on Thursday. (IMAX 35mm)

But wow, the movie was VERY emotional. I honestly had a lump in my throat during a certain scene involving McConaughey's character which perfectly depicts his acting skills. That man was just perfect for this movie. I can tell people in the theater were crying as well.

The movie is definitely inspired by 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I won't mention how (this is a spoiler-free review), except for the TARS robot which could be inspired by HAL. TARS was a surprisingly amazing character. He was hilarious and added a lot of comedy to an otherwise serious and emotional movie.

Overall, Interstellar is a movie that definitely needs to be viewed at least twice to fully understand it and critique it. I can't think of a rating to give at this moment, but if I was forced to, I'd say a 9.5 or a 10. My ranking for Nolan's films:

1. The Dark Knight - 10
2. Memento - 10
3. Inception - 9.5
4. The Prestige - 9
5. The Dark Knight Rises - 9
6. Batman Begins - 9
7. Insomnia - 8.5

I'm honestly not sure where to place Interstellar. After I view it again on Thursday I think I'll be able to place it somewhere. Right now, I think it stands between Memento and Inception. After multiple viewings it may even be above The Dark Knight. None of Nolan's films are perfect, but I think Interstellar has potential to be Nolan's masterpiece. He's done what 99% of directors can't do. It is his most ambitious and daring project yet, and it was executed very well. Is it a successor to Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey? Maybe. Who knows. Time will tell.

Stanley Kubrick would be proud.

I went to the local premiere and was the only one who clapped at the end. :blank: Going to watch it again in about 17 hours, can't wait to see all the things I missed.