What is your interpretation of the ending? SPOILERS AHEAD

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
stoifics42 wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:Just did a Google search for other info-graphics and found this as well which might be helpful in explaining some stuff to those of us less aware of the astrophysics at play or if some of the exposition flew by too fast... :shifty:

http://www.space.com/27692-science-of-i ... aphic.html
Gargantua, a fictional supermassive black hole with a mass 100 million times that of the sun. It lies 10 billion light-years from Earth and is orbited by several planets. Gargantua rotates at an astounding 99.8 percent of the speed of light.

The film's wormhole is 1.25 miles (2 kilometers) in diameter and 10 billion light-years long.
Where did they get those figures from? Are those the canon values now?
I have no idea...but looking at your very detailed timeline I have to ask, how many times have you seen the film? :shock: :clap: And I'm curious how you explain what many are calling the "paradox" or the chicken/egg contradiction or plot-hole or whatever you want to call it. I know it is a notorious pitfall of many famous sci-fi films/books but still, did Nolan effectively work around this in some way I have not yet perceived?

lcbaseball22 wrote:I have no idea...but looking at your very detailed timeline I have to ask, how many times have you seen the film? :shock: :clap: And I'm curious how you explain what many are calling the "paradox" or the chicken/egg contradiction or plot-hole or whatever you want to call it. I know it is a notorious pitfall of many famous sci-fi films/books but still, did Nolan effectively work around this in some way I have not yet perceived?
Just once so far, although to be fair I followed the marketing campaign very closely and went in knowing several plot details already.

In my timeline I proposed that INTERSTELLAR features a causality loop, where humanity's missions through the wormhole eventually lead to the wormhole's creation in the first place. Initially this seems like a paradox: surely an event cannot cause itself! But this assumes that time is strictly linear, something we know for sure isn't true inside the Tesseract where time is a physical dimension that can be traversed forwards and backwards and any which way. This is what allows Cooper to leap "outside" of time as we know it and close the loop. When the whole sequence of events is viewed from "outside," like in the timeline I made, you get a sequence of logically consistent events which, through the weirdness of the Tesseract, eventually lead back to their own cause. To us linear-time humans this seems crazy, but to 5D-uber-humans who can manipulate spacetime itself it's all in a day's work.

Sort of like how the water in a river can eventually travel back to the river's source. To a fish who only knew that the river always flows downhill, this would be a paradox and make no sense, but to a human who knows the water cycle there's no contradiction.

Another great example of a causality loop is featured in the Dr. Who episode "Blink," which I found to be a great piece of science fiction even though I'm not really a fan of Dr. Who.

There are some other developing fan theories that say INTERSTELLAR involves multiple timelines, and that the events we saw are the 3rd timeline at minimum. While this theory is also logically consistent when viewed from "outside," it has to infer several events that were never mentioned in the film at all. I prefer my own explanation because it can all be done in one timeline using only the events stated in the film.

BETA. wrote:Got this from another forum

It shows the timeline of events in interstellar, down to each character.

http://i.imgur.com/MgwWMFU.jpg

oh it appears it was actually created by stoifics42 from this very forum. lol
It's tot complicated for me. But Kudos to whoever made that timeline.

Did anyone wonder what "Old Murph" was referring to when she said at the end of the film "...and our new sun" while we watch Amelia burying Edmunds? There's no sun. There's the spinning Black Hole Gargantua right next to Edmunds' planet. Is Old Murph referring to Gargantua as the new sun? Could Gargantua's accretion disc be supplying the heat and light to the 3 planets (Miller's, Dr. Mann's and Edmunds'), creating a unique solar system? Could the gas and sun-like temperatures from the accretion disc be enough to sustain life on Edmunds' planet? This is never explored in the film but it seems to be implied. Curious to know if the new books Interstellar: Beyond Time and Space and The Science of Interstellar discuss this topic and whether this is theoretcially possible. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this.

CobbisDreaming wrote:Did anyone wonder what "Old Murph" was referring to when she said at the end of the film "...and our new sun" while we watch Amelia burying Edmunds? There's no sun. There's the spinning Black Hole Gargantua right next to Edmunds' planet. Is Old Murph referring to Gargantua as the new sun? Could Gargantua's accretion disc be supplying the heat and light to the 3 planets (Miller's, Dr. Mann's and Edmunds'), creating a unique solar system? Could the gas and sun-like temperatures from the accretion disc be enough to sustain life on Edmunds' planet? This is never explored in the film but it seems to be implied. Curious to know if the new books Interstellar: Beyond Time and Space and The Science of Interstellar discuss this topic and whether this is theoretcially possible. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this.
i like this theory but i was also under the assumption that the new solar system did indeed have a star (a neutron star is mentioned, which isnt necesarily a black hole but very similar). im sure there are further layers to this line though

i have a question
in the tesseract, is it possible that Coop's vision of Murph's bedroom was 2D? after all, him inside the tesseract is 2D for us. or would he/did he maintain his 3d depth perception inside the tesseract

I'm a John G wrote:
CobbisDreaming wrote:Did anyone wonder what "Old Murph" was referring to when she said at the end of the film "...and our new sun" while we watch Amelia burying Edmunds? There's no sun. There's the spinning Black Hole Gargantua right next to Edmunds' planet. Is Old Murph referring to Gargantua as the new sun? Could Gargantua's accretion disc be supplying the heat and light to the 3 planets (Miller's, Dr. Mann's and Edmunds'), creating a unique solar system? Could the gas and sun-like temperatures from the accretion disc be enough to sustain life on Edmunds' planet? This is never explored in the film but it seems to be implied. Curious to know if the new books Interstellar: Beyond Time and Space and The Science of Interstellar discuss this topic and whether this is theoretcially possible. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this.
i like this theory but i was also under the assumption that the new solar system did indeed have a star (a neutron star is mentioned, which isnt necesarily a black hole but very similar). im sure there are further layers to this line though

i have a question
in the tesseract, is it possible that Coop's vision of Murph's bedroom was 2D? after all, him inside the tesseract is 2D for us. or would he/did he maintain his 3d depth perception inside the tesseract
First off, Old Murph says "the light of her new sun," not "our." As for the accretion disk, here's Kip's description of it:
A typical accretion disk and its jet emit radiation—X-rays, gamma rays, radio waves, and light—radiation so intense that it would fry any human nearby. To avoid frying, Christopher Nolan and Paul Franklin gave Gargantua an exceedingly anemic disk. Now, “anemic” doesn’t mean anemic by human standards; just by the standards of typical quasars. Instead of being a hundred million degrees like a typical quasar’s disk, Gargantua’s disk is only a few thousand degrees, like the Sun’s surface, so it emits lots of light but little to no X-rays or gamma rays.
So it's a very Sun-like disk. Plus, an anemic disk would stay in orbit around Gargantua for much longer, since there isn't as much material trying to cram it in towards the event horizon. As you said, the Gargantua system also has a host of neutron stars and other material circling the black hole that could emit enough light. The night sky on Edmunds' world would truly be a sight to see.

Both Nolan's original sketch of the Tesseract and Kip Thorne's mathematical description of it require the projections of Murph's bedroom to be 3D.

I don't know if this is the proper thread for this, but I don't want to start a new thread for this simple question.

I understand that

the "them" was US. I get it. I figured it out before they explained it, and that we sent ourselves. But they also said that THEY (we) put the wormhole there.

How is that? DId we put it there? Or was it just there as a natural phenomenon - or was it supernatural? I was a bit worried in the first 1/3 when she was talking about ghosts because I don't believe in supernatural or the occult, so I'm glad it stayed grounded in reality. If someone put a wormhole there for us, it seems to Ancient Aliensy

In reply to stoifics42:

Thanks for correcting me on the exact quote by Old Murph "the light of her new sun," and for providing Kip's description of the accretion disc. This is helpful!

anyone with Kip Thorne's book? What does he write about what's happening in the tesseract etc.?