'Interstellar' Nolan Fans Member Reviews

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Interstellar

Acting – 9.5
Script – 9
Editing – 8.5
Visuals – 9.5
Sound – 7.5

Total Score = 88%

Well, I loved the ambition, the themes, and how Nolan tied things together in the 3rd act (aside from the paradox, which I guess is inevitable) but I thought the film was over-stuffed (was the whole Damon bit necessary? I would have axed that entire part) and quite frankly Hans Zimmer's score, despite helping to ramp up tension during a few scenes, was headache inducing and very repetitive. Also the sound mix seemed poor at times with it being occasionally very difficult to nearly impossible to hear the dialogue with the organ music blasting in the background, but this may have been intentional. :think: Lastly, some of the science got pretty darn “theoretical” but I went with it...

Verdict: Overall I would say this film is one that is admirable more than it is enjoyable, but it is ultimately quite rewarding if you stick with it. The acting was fantastic throughout but this comes as no surprise as you can count on a great ensemble cast in a Nolan film. While it’s not Memento or Inception, there is still a lot of Nolan’s brilliance permeating throughout. :thumbup:

Wow....

10/10

First viewing: Not bad. 8/10 (NF hyped it too much for me I think)

Need to see it again though.

10/10 for me.

Whoa just got back from the theater! :clap:

Great Movie! 9/10

This truly is the "2001 A space odyssey" of this generation.. (IMO)
I now understand why many critics (and also movie goers) had mixed( or negative) opinions about this movie. I think its because they did not fully understand what this movie was all about. This is a very complex movie. More complex than Inception and Memento. There are many scientific theories and ideas portrayed in this movie for us to think about. I assume all of those people who gave this movie negative reviews clearly did not understand what was going on during the 2nd and the final act. Its is not a straight forward movie after all. This movie is like a da vinci painting. You have to look deep into it to find its meanings.

As for the Acts of the movie: The 1st and the 3rd was the best. 2nd act was good but not amazing.
Music: Epic!!! Emotional and Haunting stuff there by Mr.Zimmer. At some scenes tho the music felt a bit too loud.
Acting: Mathew was just brilliant!! Top class acting!!. Mathew, Foy, Jessica, Anne and
TARS voiced by Bill irwin
respectively, are the ones who stole the show for me.

The movie feels very different from Nolans previous work. He has stepped up a level as a director. This movie is nothing like memento, inception or TDKT. This movie is a whole new beast. A true CLASSIC sci-fi movie in a VERY LONG TIME! Nolan said he wanted Interstellar to inspire the new generation on space exploration and im positive it will! This movie clearly will be a mile stone in Sci Fi movie history!

And please watch it in IMAX!

Gonna watch this next weekend as well! Hats off to nolan for this gem :clap:
Im off to think about this movie again!!!

This is Nolan's masterpiece, and if you thought he had a style or a formula, this blows that out of the water, although there are certainly touches of purely Nolanesque stories... Namely in the third act. That's not a negative, I'm simply saying he's pushing his boundaries in the best way. It's a beautiful film and a beautiful story. He embraces emotion in a way he hasn't before, but it's also not something he uses as a crutch. Yes, I cried more than once. I told my wife walking out that if I werent a parent, I might not have had that reaction...but there is so much to relate to.

Flaws? What film doesn't have them? Nolan doesnt bog the story down with too many explanations for some of the smaller things. I'm good with that. McConnaughhey and Foy give Oscar worthy performances.

My one problem is a single but significant line at the end. I'll address that later in spoiler territory.

9/10

Updated.

All Critics: 98% (average Rating: 9.3/10)
Top Critics: 100% (average Rating: 9.5/10)

I won't write a review, since I've never done one and my English sucks.

But my score for the movie is 9/10 for now. The score might change on my second viewing.
Last edited by Bale Fan on January 3rd, 2015, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

I arrive at this board as a (now rapidly) growing admirer of Nolan's work, but my primary interest and enthusiasm in film has been for the works of Kubrick. I regard him as the Shakespeare of film and "2001: A Space Odyssey" as the finest work of art. There isn't any qualifier that was left off that last sentence. But the interest here is to find out if others were struck by the deeper and more profound connections between that film and "Interstellar," and of course I am not merely referring to visual homages of various kinds like doors or the robots. Something far greater is going on here.

Nolan has created a profound and parallel set of philosophical themes in the narrative.

The basic story at the outset is about a species facing its own extinction, in a setting of a barren desert or desert-leaning conditions, the attendant finding of something unknown, mysterious and unknowable (the monolith, Murph's “poltergeist” and its role as a life “pointer” for Coop), and this mysterious force then prompting conceptual thought that can save the species.

This describes the australopithecines and their drought and no plant food situation, the arrival of the monolith, and the conceptual thought of using a bone as a tool in "2001." In "Interstellar" it describes the drought and crop failures, the poltergeist motivations for Coop's mission and then the eventual inspiration for Murph's solution.

A space exploration mission is undertaken to go to one of our two giant gas planets (Jupiter, “2001,” Saturn, “Interstellar”), and there we find a cosmic transit station put in place for us by vastly superior ETI beings. As Kubrick said, "their motives would be ungraspable," but the essential fact is it is benevolence on their part, in limited ways for reasons we must acknowledge are beyond our understanding.

During the exploration, a crisis arises (is arranged?) from internal conflict (madness in both cases?) in which one personality (HAL, Dr. Mann) deems the "mission too important to allow human life to jeopardize it." Those were HAL's words, but they fit the new film as well. This personality is a mortal threat that must be defeated and the extreme problems created must be solved with conceptual and intuitive thought. This constitutes “passing a test” or a kind of trial by fire, which leads or allows the protagonist (Bowman, “Coop”) to take a further journey beyond human understanding, leading him to:

“The Room at the End” (“2001”), about which more has been written than any scene in any film, is what Nolan transfigures into Coop's 3D self being physically transported by the ETI into a five dimensional space in which he can observe “the room” and different versions of “the moment” which is most important in his life, and parenthetically the most important in the timeline of possible human survival. Both "rooms" may be mental imagery of something beyond human conception except in the visual form we are shown.

This ETI allowance for him to intervene (what Muph calls “poltergeist”), in a limited way (whose limitation? The ETI for their own purposes, physics limitations we can't grasp or improve on?). This parallels the ETI intervention of conceptual inspiration with the man-apes, which leads to tool use and eventually thus to meeting the ETI and being brought up to their level.

This is just a first sketch of thoughts a friend and I had in phone conversation this morning about these really profound thematic links between the films. Obviously Nolan's film is far more concrete and less directly philosophic, more driven towards the personal, one family tale of emotion and separation. But that is again Nolan's trademark technique of the surface plot and the deeper meanings (compare the ideas of the heist and the deeper theme of guilt in “Inception”).

edit: Oh. I think I also wanted to say: 10/10.
Last edited by the_red_ninja on November 9th, 2014, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merge double post

Saw movie in Nov.6 and it was great. I love theme of space and time, movie great example how author must execute this things. I liked Foy's perfomanse alot, along with Mac and Ann she was one of the best. I truly respect how was made visuals - old school. That made me fell what movie can be made long time ago, and this is cool. Love Hans theme Day One Dark ( especially at the end). I appreciated the references to other works in genre (2001, SW and so)
Solid 8/10 :clap:

PS Also thanks to authors for main theme of the cinema, which is about releationship between father and daughter, and not about another love story) For no dates (the year is...meh) in movie.

TARS was great))