'Interstellar' Reviews Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
75% on RT with over 40 reviews. Shouldn't it be certified fresh?

braungeo123 wrote:75% on RT with over 40 reviews. Shouldn't it be certified fresh?
It just barely breached it so I doubt they'll instantly certify the film fresh...they'll probably wait until 75 reviews or so and see if it holds or falters. Does anyone have an idea when we'll get Roeper's review?

braungeo123 wrote:75% on RT with over 40 reviews. Shouldn't it be certified fresh?
soon

lcbaseball22 wrote:
It just barely breached it so I doubt they'll instantly certify the film fresh...they'll probably wait until 75 reviews or so and see if it holds or falters. Does anyone have an idea when we'll get Roeper's review?
they might wait until its over 75% even not 74.6%

lcbaseball22 wrote:
Still, their rules are as follows:
The "Certified Fresh" seal is reserved for movies that satisfy two criteria: a "Tomatometer" of 75% or better and at least 40 reviews from Tomatometer Critics (including 5 Top Critics). Films earning this status will keep it unless the positive critical percentage drops below 70%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotten_Tomatoes

hasanahmad wrote:they might wait until its over 75% even not 74.6%
Maybe once the ebert website review gets posted...

Robin wrote:So the reviews by New York Magazine (David Edelstein) and The New Yorker (David Denby) both counted as 70 on metacritic. As I wrote earlier both had lots of good things to say about the film.

Let's hope (in vain) that Slant Magazine, The New Yorker and New York Observer will follow.
I am not sure what to think of that. Normally when those guys strongly dislike a Nolan movie, I enjoy the film quite a bit. That said, I've already read enough of Jonah's old script that I can say I liked what he came up with. Now it's just a question of what did Chris do with that old script and does it translate well to the screen? I'll find out Thursday night.

Something else worth noting I think is that Interstellar currently has edged out Inception's 'Top Critics' percentage and average rating...

Interstellar

83%
Average Rating: 8/10
Reviews Counted: 12
Fresh: 10
Rotten: 2

Inception

82%
Average Rating: 7.6/10
Reviews Counted: 45
Fresh: 37
Rotten: 8

Let us relish this before the rest of the NY reviews hit... 8-)

[/quote]Will people please stop with this agenda against Nolan? Nolan's last 3 films are among the most acclaimed blockbusters of the century and even TDKR (which a large majority of audience members considered a disappointment) is Nolan's third most acclaimed film.

Also, will we please stop comparing the film to other classics that were initially met with mixed reviews as a coping mechanism to the mixed reviews or putting other critically acclaimed films down to make us feel better - I personally thought American Hustle was the best film of 2013 and I hate David O. Russell.

I have yet to see the film but what I gathered from most reviews is that the problem of the film has to do with the sentimental nature of it. A few vocal minority have always criticized Nolan's films for having no heart or too dark but his gloomier films are also his best. One review from the review thread claimed that Nolan made this film for award voters, whom I personally think are the people most guilty of having an agenda against him. Even Dana Stevens of Slate claimed that she snickered a few times at the movie. Another article popped up in the general information thread which claimed that this is the most optimistic dystopian film in years - this list includes Looper, District 9 and even Avatar.

The problem comes down to the cynicism among US critics as compared to their counterparts in other nations. Nowadays sentimentality is referred to as cheesy and romance categorized as chick flick. Frankly, I am also a bit worried since I fell in love with cynical Nolan (I still believe that Bruce died).

However, as nearly all the Critics have noted, it is a movie unlike any other and I can't wait to see it.[/quote]

My point was that when I read the French critics and I read the American ones, it's like it isn't the same film. That's weird. Maybe you can't read what the French critics said, but it is so different from the snarky U.S. ones. And the French are very cynical people not taken in by sentimentality (which all the Americans complain about), so it isn't like the French are all dying for a tearjerker. The French critics describe it as very moving and the American critics describe it as sentimental.

Yeah fuck Americans