Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
genloovers wrote:I will be very surprised if Interstellar doesn't get a BP nom at the Oscars. With there being 10 spots it most certainly has to make it. After all, the field expanded to 10 because of The Dark Knight snub.
Most critics aren't even putting Interstellar in their top 10s. That top 25 mashup video from David Ehrlich which has been getting alot of news coverage only contained Interstellar as an honorable mention too.

With that being said, I could see Paramount being able to get Interstellar into there.

However, the Academy doesn't have to pick 10 right?

Apocalypse wrote:
Correct, the new rules allow any number between 5 and 10 and it's all predicated on how many achieve the 5% minimum vote with the preferential ballot system. For 3 years now this has resulted in 9 films.
Last edited by lcbaseball22 on December 11th, 2014, 8:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Apocalypse wrote:
genloovers wrote:I will be very surprised if Interstellar doesn't get a BP nom at the Oscars. With there being 10 spots it most certainly has to make it. After all, the field expanded to 10 because of The Dark Knight snub.
Most critics aren't even putting Interstellar in their top 10s. That top 25 mashup video from David Ehrlich which has been getting alot of news coverage only contained Interstellar as an honorable mention too.

With that being said, I could see Paramount being able to get Interstellar into there.

They usually pick 9.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote: They usually pick 9.
There's really no usual and they don't really pick per se, it's not exactly a consensus, it's just the way the chips have fallen once all the #1 votes have been added up and the redistribution of votes has occurred and whatnot that 9 films had over that 5% of the vote. It could just as easily be only 5 this year, though I doubt it seeing how the love has been getting spread around. More likely to be a full 10 this year I'd say.

Though as Sasha Stone over at AwardsDaily is fond of saying, really think in terms of five because each voting member is only allowed five choices for Best Picture and it's among all these ballots of 5 that the Best Picture nominees are culled, however many that ends up being, 5 to 10. So how many ballots will Interstellar be in the Top 5 and if not enough #1 positions will there be enough other mentions when redistribution occurs to yield 5% of the vote? That is the answer we have to wait a month to find out...

I don't know why they bother with 9. Everyone knows a month in advance what the top 2 contenders are.

Really, the films are:

Birdman
Foxcatcher
Boyhood
The Imitation Game

They're wasting their time with 5 more spots.

Lol @ Yahoo
After a solid year of hype, a 'Time' magazine cover, and coronation as his generation’s Kubrick, the world has moved on from Christopher Nolan. 'Interstellar' received only lukewarm reviews — and no love from the HFPA, which only gave it a nod for Best Original Score. Also overlooked: last year’s Best Actor-Drama winner, Matthew McConaughey and Jessica Chastain (though she did get recognized for her supporting turn in 'A Most Violent Year').
:|

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:Nolan has made several good films and some great ones but they don't hold a candle to films like The Tree of Life or Badlands.
Not that you had any respect here anyway, but now you're starting to cross into troll territory.

It's really interesting (and annoying) to see the "narrative" people are painting around Nolan right now. His latest movie wasn't the contemporary 2001 and didn't make a billion dollars. Failure. Despite, of course, being one of the highest grossing original properties and sci-fi movies ever. Mixed reviews, sure, kind of, but audiences have really responded to it despite all going against it.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:It's really interesting (and annoying) to see the "narrative" people are painting around Nolan right now. His latest movie wasn't the contemporary 2001 and didn't make a billion dollars. Failure. Despite, of course, being one of the highest grossing original properties and sci-fi movies ever. Mixed reviews, sure, kind of, but audiences have really responded to it despite all going against it.

-Vader
Yeah but being reasonable is not nearly a cool, edgy enough attitude to have on the matter.

Vader182 wrote:It's really interesting (and annoying) to see the "narrative" people are painting around Nolan right now. His latest movie wasn't the contemporary 2001 and didn't make a billion dollars. Failure. Despite, of course, being one of the highest grossing original properties and sci-fi movies ever. Mixed reviews, sure, kind of, but audiences have really responded to it despite all going against it.

-Vader
Maybe it's just me but I didn't see anyone call the movie a failure.