The last 70mm Imax release it will be 'Interstellar'

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.

natalie wrote:The last 70mm Imax release it would be Interstellar...confirmed by Imax presiden Greg Foster.
Apparently only 10 screens will remain by that time.

http://www.cinesargentinos.com.ar/artic ... um=twitter
holy shit... I was told by an IMAX theater owner (that gave me a tour of the projection room when Rises was playing) that because so many theaters bought old 70mm projectors for Rises, they'd likely use them for a few years for any movies shot on 70mm. This sucks, badly. I wonder if that means they're moving faster with the laser technology, or just converting more and more theaters to dual 2K.

Fuck.

-Vader

que cagada :thumbdown:

:( sad

wait so no more 15/70 mm IMAX theaters is that it????
only BS IMAX?
wow this suck

Now Where Was I ? wrote:wait so no more 15/70 mm IMAX theaters is that it????
only BS IMAX?
wow this suck
Not exactly. The stigma against 'fake' IMAX is the dual 2K setup they currently have installed D-IMAX locations. However, starting mid next year they're installing a brand new system with fairly advanced projection technology using lasers. It, supposedly, creates higher contrast, brightness, a wider range of color, and with dual 4K projectors, gives the image a perceived resolution well above 4K because it's doubling the pixels on the screen. Supposedly, they'll outperform 15/70 in a multitude of areas. It's very possible many of us will be seeing Interstellar on this setup.

-Vader

I'm really sad for this.

Vader182 wrote:
Now Where Was I ? wrote:wait so no more 15/70 mm IMAX theaters is that it????
only BS IMAX?
wow this suck
Not exactly. The stigma against 'fake' IMAX is the dual 2K setup they currently have installed D-IMAX locations. However, starting mid next year they're installing a brand new system with fairly advanced projection technology using lasers. It, supposedly, creates higher contrast, brightness, a wider range of color, and with dual 4K projectors, gives the image a perceived resolution well above 4K because it's doubling the pixels on the screen. Supposedly, they'll outperform 15/70 in a multitude of areas. It's very possible many of us will be seeing Interstellar on this setup.

-Vader
But isn't IMAX the equivalent of like 12k or something?

natalie wrote:I'm really sad for this.
gib sigs

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
But isn't IMAX the equivalent of like 12k or something?
No. Barring those rare first gen prints that make it out there, 15/70 is maxing out at 8K before things like deterioration/shutter/dust come into the picture.