Hoyte van Hoytema as Director of Photography

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
xWhereAmI? wrote:
Vader182 wrote:I have a brief point to make. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy has less than conventionally pleasing aesthetics. It's beyond drab: grays and browns dominate the visual palette underneath the super underexposure and the always thick grain. Despite this, there's meticulous precision in the framing, a constant variation between raw images and painterly ones, and frequently very complex camera movements involving commanding control of the camera and sustaining immaculate composition within that framework. This is notable because it's markedly easy (in the realm of cinematography) to stick your camera at already beautiful objects or locations, say Jessica Chastain or a beautiful valley, and have them turn out gorgeous. It's the object or locations that's beautiful, not the cinematography. What's so impressive is that Hoyte took an aesthetically displeasing framework, and still made it into something beautiful.

So, just try imagining what he'll do with an artist who's films lend themselves to awe-inspiring visuals.

-Vader
Damn. This could be the greatest looking film of all time. Oscar nom and win already

SPOILERS BEWARE

I missed this news until now... exciting. I feel the need to go watch every film this man has ever DP'd now.

I move that when referencing Hoyte van Hoytema on the forum, he shall from this point on only be referred to as Hoyte Hoyte, or possibly Hoytey, depending on the circumstances. Thank you for your time.

His framing is meh, but Nolan'll fix him up. I got faith in this guy.

Peace wrote:
stanley wrote:
That doesn't mean that look will carry over into Interstellar. Nolan is the director, he'll tell him what he wants. Have faith.
That's the part some people don't get. He will do what Nolan directs him to do. I doubt the film will be some drab, bleak, affair like TTSS.
True, of course, but my thinking was that Nolan may have chosen him based on the more drab visual style that he's renowned for. I doubt that's the case though.

christophmac wrote:
Peace wrote:
That's the part some people don't get. He will do what Nolan directs him to do. I doubt the film will be some drab, bleak, affair like TTSS.
True, of course, but my thinking was that Nolan may have chosen him based on the more drab visual style that he's renowned for. I doubt that's the case though.
I hope so. To be honest I expect this to be his best looking film to date :shifty:
Say Girl

Hoyte is a great choice. I like his work. Stoked for the eventual trailer. :oldmanface:

thrice wrote:I'm wondering if Interstellar will be the first Nolan movie to go through a DI
I highly doubt that. Since Nolan and Hoytema will shoot on film for Interstellar, a DI makes zero sense.
"Peace has cost you your strength! Victory has defeated you!"

Imaginatio wrote:
thrice wrote:I'm wondering if Interstellar will be the first Nolan movie to go through a DI
I highly doubt that. Since Nolan and Hoytema will shoot on film for Interstellar, a DI makes zero sense.
It doesn't make any sense NOT doing a DI ;)