Interstellar's Soundtrack

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Last edited by CallMeSelina on April 30th, 2015, 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Who's heard Ghosts by Nine Inch Nails and TGWTDT soundtrack?

I could really see that working in a less-actiony space film which is still something tense, desperate and psychological.

Honestly, I don't think Ross/Reznor have a chance of being selected (and I'm not sure I like where they may be taking film scores either/as in I was a little upset that they won Oscars) but it would be a clever and bold move to pick them. You would need someone to edit out all the excess and messy unnecessary stuff to keep everything concise and focussed. And there would need to be a greater use of layers and cinematic convention involved. They have the sound and emotion down though their actual compositional skill leaves me a little unsatisfied.

Interstellar Main Theme.
Do you... like pineapple?

I don't think Nolan will ever work with Ross/Reznor. Juylan would be great for this type of film, but I gotta go with Zimmer.

Christopher Nolan's movies will always be associated for me with the music of Hans Zimmer. And I think that this connection is great. Imagine a quiet and peacefull music in space, but when the wormhole is showing for us, the music is getting more epic in seconds :tooexcited:

Hans Zimmer + Vangelis = :tooexcited: :tooexcited: :tooexcited: :tooexcited: :tooexcited:

jibran wrote:Who's heard Ghosts by Nine Inch Nails and TGWTDT soundtrack?

I could really see that working in a less-actiony space film which is still something tense, desperate and psychological.

Honestly, I don't think Ross/Reznor have a chance of being selected (and I'm not sure I like where they may be taking film scores either/as in I was a little upset that they won Oscars) but it would be a clever and bold move to pick them. You would need someone to edit out all the excess and messy unnecessary stuff to keep everything concise and focussed. And there would need to be a greater use of layers and cinematic convention involved. They have the sound and emotion down though their actual compositional skill leaves me a little unsatisfied.

Interstellar Main Theme.
If they were I'd probably explode from glee, but it won't ever happen. I'm not sure they match tonally that well either.

-Vader

poplar wrote:Christopher Nolan's movies will always be associated for me with the music of Hans Zimmer. And I think that this connection is great. Imagine a quiet and peacefull music in space, but when the wormhole is showing for us, the music is getting more epic in seconds :tooexcited:
^^^This

Subtle and quiet music when the situation is tense or claustrophobic and epic music during grand and majestic scenes.
Zimmer can do it, which he has already done for TDKR.
gib sigs

I'm pretty sure it's never gonna happen, but I'd love to see Nolan work with Cliff Martinez.
He's able to bring such a great ominous feeling to his work that I think would pair up wonderfully with Nolan's visuals.

And btw, his work on Contagion (a lot more than his score for Drive) deserves recognition for being an absolutely compelling score.

Lots of interesting ideas here:-) I wouldnt mind seeing Nolan use somebody other than Zimmer, just to try something new. It would be interesting though to see what Zimmer comes up with. We all know Nolan is a realist and it would be interesting to see if Zimmer can use something similar to how he created the Bane chant and music for this movie as well. Maybe somehow mix the sounds of random satellite static and what not to his musical piece to use "real" sound to go with Nolan's realism :-)

However, it would also be awesome if there was more than one composer for the movie as a whole. Depending on the story line and script it might be cool ( expensive though) to see diverse musical talent create a song for various scenes. So for instance if they somehow time travel to five different time periods five different musical artists or composer would create music for that scene. Just a thought:-)

Everybody has listed some interesting people. This section has been fun to read:-) I for some reason feel a lot 'piano' driven music when I think of scenes concerning space. Maybe even harps:-)

Actually, I might vote for Alexandre Desplat being a nice candidate. ZD30 proved he can bring ambience and heavy mood/atmosphere but Harry Potter (and moments of ZD30) illustrated he can bring the epic too. This picture likely needs both.

-Vader