Johnny Depp as Will Caster

Discussion about Wally Pfister's upcoming directorial debut film being produced at Alcon.
kor
It is not a secret as we all know from official plot details and The Wrap's interview that Depp character's brain is gonna end up somehow in computer.

Knowing this, after reading the script I can see how Wally could make it a short shoot for J. Depp. I suspect much of it will be Depp in front of green screens. As for where is he, how he looks like and other - the vfx guys will have much fun, I think!

I hope Johnny Depp gets an Oscar nomination for this .

manofsteel1 wrote:I hope Johnny Depp gets an Oscar nomination for this .
He's only gonna be on screen for about 25 minutes at best.

Law
BlairCo wrote:
Hopkins was on screen for 13min

Law wrote:
BlairCo wrote:
Hopkins was on screen for 13min
But he owned those 13 minutes. I can't see Depp own such a simple role And also:
Depp is gonna be playing a computer for majority of the film.

BlairCo wrote: But he owned those 13 minutes. I can't see Depp own such a simple role And also:
Depp is gonna be playing a computer for majority of the film.
You are underestimating his presence, BIG SPOILERS, those who haven't read the script, resist.
He will be hologram and I think they will go Crowe's Jor-El way, his hologram will be real and not computerized otherwise it makes no sense whatsoever to pay the man over 20 million for such a small role.

kor
At first he will be only as a voice and beeing in computer, later he will create some kind of physical avatar of himself that could be just everywhere

The material is DEFINITELY there for Depp. Even though
He becomes transcendent, I'm sure the scenes in which he is the A.I. are gonna be killer, that's where he can shine even more than as just Will

I think the most fascinating aspect of his character that seems to be hinted at in the trailer is that he becomes thirsty for this immortality/source of power from the network of all the computers of the world. Kind of like a Vampire in the world of the megabytes and computer code.