Man of Steel (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Fandango surveyed more than 1,000 Man Of Steel ticket-buyers and found that 88% are fans of Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight franchise
:gonf:

I'm bad at making reviews so i'll just say my main thoughts on the film. Over all, I loved it. There were some issues i had but overall i thought it was great. The action scenes were out of this world, The Smallville fight scene and final fight scene were just incredible to watch.
Top notch acting all round and Cavill Kill it as supes. But for me Costner stole the show. Also extremely impressed with Antje Traue, she had such a great screen presence.
I saw it in IMAX 3D, I'm not a fan of 3D but my god it was worth it to hear Hans' score Blasting through the Speakers, it sounded phenomenal. I also loved that they didn't pussy out on the destruction in the finale
The death toll is massive and it just raises the stakes up much more by showing it all happening. I also thought Zod's death was brilliantly executed especially due to Cavill's performance in the scene.
Even with all the insane action, i would have to say my favorite parts were definitely the Pa Kent scenes, they were so emotional and i really wish we had more. I thought the ending was great, a very nice way to finish it and it's left me salivating wanting more. Also i had a pretty great audience, we were all cheering, clapping, laughing, there were guys in superman capes, it was a great experience.
8.5/10

For those that have seen it, what are some of your favorite scenes?

Here's a few of mine.
Jor-El vs Zod

Pa Kent death :cry:

Jor-El helps Lois escape

Superman vs Faora

Young Clark saving the school bus

Lois welcoming Clark to the planet ;)

Hello everyone, long-time reader first-time posting...

I thought the film was terrific. The relatively lukewarm critical reception sort of tempered my excitement, but I was pleasantly surprised at the overall quality.

Some of the highlights:

-Oil rig
-Young Clark
-The acting (pretty much everyone delivered, special mention for Cavill, Costner, Lane and Traue)
- The score
- The breath-taking action for the most part, but definitely overlong towards the end
- The ending!!
Welcome to the planet...
All in all, I left the cinema very satisfied. IMO, Man of Steel has earned a place along side some of the very best superhero origin movies - Spider-Man, Iron Man, Unbreakable, and even Batman Begins...

Bring on the sequel already ;)

Random thoughts, where to start... just saw this in 2D "IMAX." I've been looking forward to it for a long time. Incredibly tired today, finally finished my paper and grad school is OVER! This was kind of a reward to look forward to after a long week.

I enjoyed this film very much. I think it's exactly what was advertised and reintroduces Superman in a huge way to modern audiences. If you were expecting Donner's Superman, I don't see how you could walk out of the theater satisfied. But for everyone else, at the very least, I would think Man of Steel helps shed the "lame" label of Superman.
The sequences on Krypton are stunning and I almost wish there was a prequel establishing the events that lead to where we start in this film. Everything from the flashbacks worked really well and you can piece together what goes on in his childhood from event to event without them having to show it all. You really do understand why Clark is the way that he is and why he is able to make the controversial choice he needs to make at the end.

I wish that the "interrogation" scene between Lois and Superman had a little more to it. The one plot point I don't understand at all: why Zod wanted Lois on the ship. Maybe I missed something there. I found it funny how Faora and Hardy had their own little rivalry going on. The events with the Daily Planet staff felt unnecessary at times. But having seen that final scene (which was great), I suppose it was important to give the staff their time for future installments.
The scale of this thing is absolutely massive. Seriously. I thought the Avengers was big, but this is another animal.

As far as the performances, I think everyone was on their game. Zod really was the only villain they could have used to introduce Superman in this manner. Shannon does well in the role, but others leave more of a lasting impression. Cavill, Costner and Crowe knock it out of the park. This really is a great movie to come out on Father's Day weekend.

Reading some of the reviews after the fact, I'm a little disappointed that many of the critics who gave a mixed reaction didn't come into this with an open mind. Superman's origin is not really bright and cheery when you think about it. But they aren't wrong about some of the other flaws in this. As great as the action is, it gets to be a little much toward the end. It's beautiful to watch at times, at others it is an assault on the senses. And while I think Adams did a great job as Lois, I definitely think the romance was rushed. In a lot of ways, similar to how I see the romance from Thor. There are some really bad lines at some of the most inopportune times. I blame Goyer lol.

Hans fucking Zimmer. That is all.

On sequels and those other movies:
Man of Steel opens up a new world for both Superman and other characters, clearly. I just hope that they don't quickly sweep the destruction of Metropolis under the rug. I felt that the inmates escaping Arkham in Batman Begins was never truly addressed in the Nolan trilogy. There is a great opportunity for Superman to become more of that symbol of hope in the rebuilding process, because in this one he wasn't around in the public's eye for much of the movie. I really would like to see Lex Luthor in this world. And as impressive as the scale was, I'd like to see it shrink just a little bit.

I have no idea how they will get Batman to have a purpose in this world, but by all means go for it. I've never been particularly interested in Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern etc. but my imagination is running wild. I think that, as far as critical response, there will be a more receptive welcome to this tone with these characters that have either never made it to the big screen or were completely botched (Green Lantern). Regardless, I get the feeling audiences will eat these things up.
I realize Goyer will always be around, but please, for the love of God bring in a co-writer or something. I thought Snyder's handle on the film was fine and I wouldn't mind seeing him back for the next one.

All in all, I give Man of Steel a 8/10 for now. It's probably my fifth favorite superhero flick after the Dark Knight Trilogy and the first Iron Man.

Red Hood wrote:This is how I think things are gonna go:
Krypton Invasion
Kal-El's Arrival on Earth and Adoption
A little of Clark's character development
The bus scene
Clark in high school
Clark goes hitchhiking (some scenes from the teaser like him fishing and walking around)
Clark discovers his purpose (Oil rig scene)
Fortress of Solitude
Clark gets the job at Daily Planet
Zod finds out about Kal-El's presence in Earth
Smallville sequence
Clark taken into custody by military, becomes Superman
General Zod's "You Are Not Alone" message
Metropolis battle
Zod's imprisonment (if he were to be arrested, I would like him to have the same fate in Superman II because it would make good fan service)
Ending
Not even close.

- "Goodbye my son"
- Zod v. Jor-El
- Lois' intro/her and Clarks first interaction
- Pa Kent's death :cry:
- "You are not alone"
- Kal beating the ever loving fuck out of Zod when he threatened Ma Kent
- Faora/Non? v Kal
- Post-battle conversation between Zod and Kal (MICHAEL SHANNON :clap: :clap: )
- Zod's death. Fuck man.
- "WELCOME 2 DA PLANET"

Zod and Superman's Final Fight/Zod's Death

DoubleD wrote:
Krypton Invasion
The bus scene
Clark in high school
Clark goes hitchhiking (some scenes from the teaser like him fishing and walking around)
Fortress of Solitude
Smallville sequence
Metropolis battle
Zod's imprisonment (if he were to be arrested, I would like him to have the same fate in Superman II because it would make good fan service)
Ending
Not even close.
It could've been correct if most of the events got swapped up in awkward order. And don't you think it's time to lock this thread?

Red Hood wrote:
DoubleD wrote:
Krypton Invasion
The bus scene
Clark in high school
Fortress of Solitude
Smallville sequence
Metropolis battle
Ending
Not even close.
It could've been correct if most of the events got swapped up in awkward order. And don't you think it's time to lock this thread?
I suppose so.