TDKR Reviews Discussion

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
It irritates me that people make death threats on critics that post negative reviews. It's still their own opinion, and that's totally fine. What makes it worse is that those people haven't even seen the movie yet. In the worst case scenario the movie is dissapointing and those negative critics were right after all.. That'd be awkward. So please, let it rest for a couple of days, at least 'till saturday.

BobRocks wrote:It irritates me that people make death threats on critics that post negative reviews. It's still their own opinion, and that's totally fine. What makes it worse is that those people haven't even seen the movie yet. In the worst case scenario the movie is dissapointing and those negative critics were right after all.. That'd be awkward. So please, let it rest for a couple of days, at least 'till saturday.
Yes, but there are also critics out there who love the extra traffic or just being the one to spoil a film's rating...
Memento: A+
Inception: A+
The Dark Knight: A
Interstellar: A-
The Prestige: A-
The Dark Knight Rises: A-
Batman Begins: B+
Following: B
Insomnia: B-

lcbaseball22 wrote:
BobRocks wrote:It irritates me that people make death threats on critics that post negative reviews. It's still their own opinion, and that's totally fine. What makes it worse is that those people haven't even seen the movie yet. In the worst case scenario the movie is dissapointing and those negative critics were right after all.. That'd be awkward. So please, let it rest for a couple of days, at least 'till saturday.
Yes, but there are also critics out there who love the extra traffic or just being the one to spoil a film's rating...
NOTHING justifies death threats.

So Ebert gave it 3/5.

He's been off the mark before, but from the sounds of it; TDKR suffers from too many new characters, a vaguely-motivated villain and not enough Batman.

TDK suffered in similar ways; I just couldn't get behind the Harvey Dent story and his sudden flip into a murderous rampage. Whilst, probably due to Ledger's performance and death (both are intertwined), Joker took over in terms of the star and the Batman scenes seemed a little fleeting.
But I guess it's been an intentional choice to show as few scenes of Batman as possible. If Nolan's going for deep metaphors, broad social commentaries and dense themes then showing a man running around in a rubber suit can't help but snap you back into a Hollywood blockbuster. He can rationalise the technology all he wants, but it's still too far-fetched for a 'crime-drama'.

Ebert called TDK "near-perfection" though, so God knows what he's been smoking through that stoma.

I'm sure the emotion and spectacle will put TDKR up there next to TDK for me. Seeing Batman being beaten up will be a thrill in itself and I like Hardy as an actor, but I wish his face wasn't so obscured by that mask. I still can't get a good feeling for Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, but I'll wait until I see it. Being so conspicuous might make her more believable. In terms of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cotillard, and especially the former, they seem to have been added to embody themes as opposed to drive the storyline.

Don't click this spoiler.
I'm happy with Nolan leaving JGL as a potential replacement for Batman; it ties in with the Harvey Dent storyline of TDK and approaches the familial aspect of Bruce's character. In the comics it's a big deal that Bruce begins to build his own family. It became a turning-point when the first Robin died.
I've always preferred Begins to TDK, and I don't think that's going to change. BB had a much murkier aesthetic. The smog and orange hues, tight ghettos and more horrific aspect of Batman's appearance are what it's all about for me. Everything became a bit too bright, techy and blue in TDK. The escalation in action made it a step-up in terms of spectacle, but it stopped being a Batman film and became a Chris Nolan film.

With a further increase in action, spectacle and emotional drive I think that I'll end up believing that BB>TDKR>TDK.

You guys don't understand Ebert.

If he gave Magic Mike and TDKR ***/4 that doesn't mean he thinks Magic Mike is as good as TDKR. His rating system is based on the specific genre and what the film tries to achieve.

I put my dick on the line that Ebert thinks this is 100x better than Magic Mike.

You're overreacting people.

Agree that this topic is overblown. As stated, his rating system is only out of four stars and a 3/4 is still pretty positive thing by all means. Yeah, he's been off the mark in the past but most critics will slip up from time-to-time. If you're a sucker for critical acclaim it's always better to judge a consensus prior to seeing a film using a handful of critics that you feel share similar views and values, rather than hedging your hopes on a single person.