Bane's voice

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Nolan4Life wrote:
George wrote:
I think the problem was that in the prologue his lines become directly relevant to understanding whats actually happening in that scene, making it frustrating when you can't quite understand every word (as was the case with Saito in Inception... although to a much worse degree).

I personally like the voice, though, so I hope it doesn't get changed much.
Its not the voice, its the background noise. I can't stress this enough.
This. The music and airplane noise cover it up!

The most interesting thing about Banes voice to me is it's contrast to his physical appearance.

indiefilmconnor wrote:
Nolan4Life wrote:
Its not the voice, its the background noise. I can't stress this enough.
This. The music and airplane noise cover it up!
Well it's not just that. His voice is heavily accented, and they're using some kind of post processing effects as well.

people from Oregon will not understand the voice...just stop it

smakweasel wrote:I was at the stadium for the filming of the kickoff scene and I had no problem understanding him there and that was on a garbage sound system.
What was it like when the field started blowing up?

Watch this

I found Bane's voice easy enough to understand, I'm just not sure I like his peculiar accent.

I love it all. My concern is twofold....

1. The studio will not take as kindly to it as Nolan might. And while they've given him endless support and freedom, this is still a studio tentpole and I find it hard to believe they won't apply serious pressure on him to make Bane easier to understand.

2. The regular moviegoer is pissing me off. I went to the prologue with 5 people. 3 other Nolan freaks and 2 girls. Go figure, the girls were frustrated and essentially gave up even trying to understand what he said. That's the problem. The people who actually NEED to hear it can't understand it and therefore give up. Us, the hardcore fans, don't necessarily need to understand every work because we can gauge where the scene is going much more intelligently than regular schmoes.

stanley wrote:The most interesting thing about Banes voice to me is it's contrast to his physical appearance.
Exactly, it's entirely unique and unexpected. I love the voice, they just need to dial up the volume of his voice or scale back the level of the background noise in scenes like the prologue.

LemonBachan wrote:I mean, the guy wears a monster muzzle of a mask; his words are NOT going to be 100% clear.
You do realize that this is a moving picture that we're discussing, right? To wit, over the course of four different Star Wars films, I was able to hear clearly every line of dialogue from Darth Vader on first viewing.

I honestly think that much of the problem with Bane has to do with the events of the prologue (i.e. plane noise and such) and won't be as much a problem during the rest of the film. That said, it does need to be tweaked to make his vocal takes more audible. The performance is fantastic - people need to be able to hear/comprehend it.