TDKR IMAX prologue

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Does anyone think they will eventually release the prologue to Digital IMAX theaters or will they just stand pat and then release the theatrical trailer later? I want to see the prologue as bad as anyone, but I don't have access to an IMAX that will be showing it.

ManBat wrote:Does anyone think they will eventually release the prologue to Digital IMAX theaters or will they just stand pat and then release the theatrical trailer later? I want to see the prologue as bad as anyone, but I don't have access to an IMAX that will be showing it.
I imagine Nolan and WB are having this discussion. I wouldn't bet against Nolan winning, it though. He's earned the clout, and the film basically markets itself. At this point, it seems like WB knows it and is fairly content with conventional in-theater and print ads, with a minimal official online presence.

To answer your question, Teddy, yes it's better to put it in every IMAX. The prologue may help MI numbers but not by much. The majority of people who will go to watch it in IMAX will have done so regardless because its MI...on IMAX and it will look epic. WB gains the most in the move by getting people familiar with the villain that may not be so familiar to the majority of the public.

mchekhov wrote:To answer your question, Teddy, yes it's better to put it in every IMAX. The prologue may help MI numbers but not by much. The majority of people who will go to watch it in IMAX will have done so regardless because its MI...on IMAX and it will look epic. WB gains the most in the move by getting people familiar with the villain that may not be so familiar to the majority of the public.
I don't know. There's something to be said about a very limited release.

darkest_knight wrote:I don't know. There's something to be said about a very limited release.
Yeah. There's definitely a way to market this (in addition/besides Nolan's reasons for sticking to true IMAX screens). With a lot of films, a limited release would be a huge gamble, with potentially very negative backlash for denying a large part of the population the chance to see it. With TDKR, a limited release is, I think, essentially bulletproof. No way Joe and Jane Six-Pack are going to swear off seeing it, and it could help build WOM with dedicated fans and cinephiles.

ManBat wrote:Does anyone think they will eventually release the prologue to Digital IMAX theaters or will they just stand pat and then release the theatrical trailer later? I want to see the prologue as bad as anyone, but I don't have access to an IMAX that will be showing it.
I don't see it happening. Nolan obviously wants the prologue to been seen the way it should. And I respect that. I'll be one many who doesn't get to see it for this reason. The closet real Imax to me is Orlando and that's a six hour drive. And I just can't justify driving six hours for six minutes. So I'll either have to have extreme will power, or watch inevitable shaky cam rip that will pop up over the weekend.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

DoubleD wrote:
I don't see it happening. Nolan obviously wants the prologue to been seen the way it should. And I respect that. I'll be one many who doesn't get to see it for this reason. The closet real Imax to me is Orlando and that's a six hour drive. And I just can't justify driving six hours for six minutes. So I'll either have to have extreme will power, or watch inevitable shaky cam rip that will pop up over the weekend.
A decent version will leak. I don't have a clue how an IMAX theatre works, but if it's digital there must be a way of recording the output as it goes between hard-drive/disc and projector.

thedisabledcubicle wrote:
DoubleD wrote:
A decent version will leak. I don't have a clue how an IMAX theatre works, but if it's digital there must be a way of recording the output as it goes between hard-drive/disc and projector.
Oh shit; scratch that... and forget getting anything other than a shaky cam or official release. IMAX projectors are nuts.
In an IMAX projector, the film is so heavy and large that a projector cannot use a claw to move it, and it is hard to hold such a big film frame perfectly flat with respect to the lens. Therefore, an IMAX projector is completely different from a normal projector:
•The film moves through it horizontally rather than vertically.
•A vacuum system sucks each image onto a piece of glass in front of the lens so that the image is oriented perfectly in front of the lens.
•The shutter opens for a longer period of time than on a normal projector in order to let more light through. The bulb for the projector is a 15,000-watt, water-cooled xenon unit.
All of this advanced technology means that an IMAX projector weighs over 2 tons (1,800 kilograms) -- the equivalent of a small car! That's what it takes to get such a bright, clear image onto such a tremendous screen.

thedisabledcubicle wrote:
DoubleD wrote:
Neither do I. I've actually never even watched a film in Imax. Still looking for the right film to pop my Imax cherry. 8-)
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."