TDKR Support Group

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.

We seem to have been getting a higher volume of information in the last few weeks, so I've decided to create this support group. Originally I wanted to wait until I see the first teaser trailer, and then stop anything TDKR related. However, I realized that there might be some of you who want ABSOLUTELY NO information of the film from today until the day the film releases.

Besides being a support group, I also want this to be a movement. I want to see how many people can get behind this idea of trying to resist media concerned with TDKR and watch the film from a "clean slate" point of view. I also feel it's important to do this before details about the synopsis are officially presented to the public.

"Batoholism" is a term with multiple and sometimes conflicting definitions. In common and historic usage, batoholism refers to any condition that results in the continued over-consumption of Batman-related media despite its effects on an individual's experience of a newly released Batman film. Batoholism may also refer to a preoccupation with or compulsion to view Batman-related media and an impaired ability to recognize the negative effects of excessive use of said media.

The use of Batman-related media itself does not predict the development of batoholism. The quantity, frequency, and regularity of media consumption required to develop batoholism varies greatly from person to person. While the biological mechanisms of batoholism are uncertain, established risk factors include social environment, emotional health, and genetic predisposition, which are all unique to every individual.

The types of media involved in the marketing campaign for TDKR are spread across different mediums. These mediums involve:
+ Full-length trailers (in theaters or on TV)
+ Teaser trailers
+ "Inside look" or "behind the scenes" specials on TV
+ Viral marketing websites
+ Billboards
+ Phone/text related messages or contests
+ Restaurant promotions (Pizza Hut, McDonald's, etc.)
+ Toys & Games
+ General word-of-mouth
+ Other forms of media
It is recommended that recovering "batoholics" resist all of these forms of media.

Treatments for batoholism are quite varied because there are multiple perspectives about the condition itself. Medications are sometimes prescribed to help reduce the compulsion to view media. Researchers have described their experiences with psychotropic hallucinogens and other panic-inducing toxins. Most treatment programs focus on completely discontinuing media consumption, followed by life training and social support in order to prevent a relapse. A typical treatment program consists of detoxification followed by a combination of therapy, daily participation in support groups such as Batoholics Anonymous, and ongoing development of coping mechanisms. For the convenience of NolanFans, we will hold our own support group in the TDKR forum.

This support group will serve as a more official place to make a personal goal for yourself. The benefits of media exclusion are numerous. Resisting excessive media will clear your mind, will make you unbiased, and will force you to observe The Dark Knight Rises from a much more "pure" and "unspoiled" standpoint.

Your first support group post should include something like "Hi, my name is ________, and (I have not yet viewed media/it has been ________ since I have viewed Batman-related media).

I will start:

Hi, my name is Cilogy, and I am a batoholic. I vow only to see the first teaser for The Dark Knight Rises and remain pure of any more media from that point forward. In Nolan's name I trust.

Personally, it is likely that I will not visit NolanFans very often after the first teaser is released. If and when I do visit, it will be in the sections that have nothing to do with TDKR. Yes I know, quite an unrealistic possibility right? I suppose, but I want a more unspoiled experience of this film, and this is the best way I know how to do it.

How much media you will resist is entirely up to you, as different people have different thresholds of interest and tolerance. If you decide to view only the trailers, if you decide to only read articles, or even if you decide to exempt yourself from any and all media related to this film prior to release, then do so at your own discretionary level that is comfortable for you. There are no binding restrictions for this support group, no one will force you to do anything, the point is to achieve a personal goal. You are only responsible for proving to yourself how much self-control you have.

The Official TDKR Support Group on NolanFans.com is not liable for any accidental viewing of Batman-related media. Please view responsibly. By the way, I am completely serious about all of this.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Cilogy, you liar, I NEED THIS, NOW, GET OUT!!! Wait, is that like the testicular thing? Ok, I'll take each first and third Sunday of the month and let's not make big thing out of it.

prince0gotham wrote:Wait, is that like the testicular thing?
Oh, this is nothing like the testicular thing that Cilogy is involved in. Fight Club reference or not.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Oh, this is nothing like the testicular thing that Cilogy is involved in. Fight Club reference or not.
Oh shit... the pun wasn't even intended :shock: now I feel dirty.

Crazy Eight wrote:
:o How the hell did you know that? That shit is private!

Cilogy wrote: :o How the hell did you know that? That shit is private!
You don't even have the right to be here. You still got your balls.

Um, that pic you sent me?

Pfff I feel bad now. We ruined his topic :S. Seriously.

I will only watch the teaser if it's akin to TDK's, where they don't show footage. From there, I will watch nothing elsethat was on that list.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Um, that pic you sent me?
No I mean about my testicular cancer support gro- ... oh shit :facepalm:

Yeah this thread is ruined.