Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Anyone think this could be Oldman's best performance yet as Gordon?

Maybe.

Maybe I'm biased because I absolutely love Gary Oldman as Gordon, but yes, I think so. He was already excellent in BB and TDK. In TDKR Gordon will probably have an even more important role as Batman's friend and hunter, he'll have to face corruption among his own men and he'll be extremely conflicted. So yeah, I do think there's the basis for a great performance here.

Maybe if he has a meatier role, but its tough to see it cause its such a straight character. The strength of his performance relies on the strength of his emotional scenes

I think Gordon gives us (the viewing audience) a "normal" anchor for the events in Gotham during the Batman years; much as we love Bruce, he's sort of fucked up, and Gordon helps us see events through the eyes of someone who is trying to navigate some pretty murky waters while keeping his family safe and not violating his own honor code and integrity.

We saw this in the climactic scenes of TDK, when Gordon needed Dent to be found and "saved," as well as trying to save his own son from the capriciousness of Dent's coin-tossing.

If TDKR is indeed more Bruce-centric than TDK (like BEGINS), I think Gordon's emotional contribution will be to help Bruce choose his path.

Gary was amazing especially in TDK. I love how Nolan really gave Gordon something important to do in his Batman movies. I'm not sure how but I would love some Bruce/Gordon scenes. A parallel to when little Bruce was at the precint and it was a younger Gordon who was comforting him when his parents were just killed.

I would like a scene where Gordon is confronting all the Gotham police at Headquarters. This would be in response to learning that corruption exist within the force. It would be one of those scenes that includes a speech about respect and honor.
Last edited by Fran on May 16th, 2011, 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fran wrote:I would like a scene where Gordon is confronting all the Gotham police at Headquarters. This would be in response to learning that corruption exist within the force. It would be one of those scenes that includes a speech about respect and honor.
That would be epic. I'd love to see him deliver a speech like that. :oldmanface:

Fran wrote:I would like a scene where Gordon is confronting all the Gotham police at Headquarters. This would be in response to learning that corruption exist within the force. It would be one of those scenes that includes a speech about respect and honor.
Eh, a little too...cheesy...

Confrontation is good, but no speech.

Monologue. 8-)